I've Been Fired!

All of the Sierra Nevada national forests will be closed to public entry as of Sunday evening due to extreme fire danger.

Claim holders are supposed to be treated the same as in holders (private land accessed by forest roads) but I'm sure a claim owner would be in for a #&// of a battle if he/she were to attempt to access a claim.

• Sad 4
  • Oh my! 1

Klunker,

I believe the ICMJ Nov. 2020 issue mentioned the legal rights for claim access which is included in this forest order as noted below:

Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:

1. Persons with Forest Service Permit No. FS-7700-48 (Permit for Use of Roads, Trails, or Areas Restricted by Regulation or Order), specifically exempting them from this Order.

2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

3. Persons with a Forest Service special use authorization for an electric transmission line, an oil or gas pipeline, communications site, or any other non-recreation special use.

4. Persons with a Forest Service non-special-use written authorization to conduct nonrecreational activities, such as harvesting timber or forest products, or grazing livestock.

5. Owners or lessees of land, to the extent necessary to access their land.

6. Residents, to the extent necessary to access their residences.

7. Persons engaged in a business, trade, or occupation are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above, but may use National Forest System roads to the extent necessary to carry out their business, trade, or occupation.

These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions contained in 36 C.F.R. Part 261, Subpart A. A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 18 U.S.C. §§ 3559, 3571, and 3581.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Once the fires are out there will be a lot of ground accessible for detecting that was impassable before. But this will take a while. Will be at RP tomorrow with the 6/17.

I grew up in a logging family on the Oregon coast. We had plenty of complaints about the US Forest Service and their rules and controls. Some of my old complains have carried over about road closures into areas that have gold.

I decided to goggle some facts on the USFS.

They are responsible for 154 national forests and 20 national grasslands containing 193 million acres

They are responsible for more than 380,000 miles of roads in our national forests and grasslands—that’s eight times more than the U.S. interstate highway system.

The Forest Service has a workforce of approximately 30,000 employees.

Even with seasonal workers and firefighters the numbers are remarkable. 

I now have a better understanding of their problems.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 8

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, vanursepaul said:

If they keep managing like they are there may be no forest left for a claim holder to mistakenly burn...

Those days are gone, too many people and houses are allowed to be made right up next to all sides of the forests for proper prescribed burning to happen.  There are going to many more closures happening in the future as everything keeps drying out.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 6:49 PM, klunker said:

All of the Sierra Nevada national forests will be closed to public entry as of Sunday evening due to extreme fire danger.

you aren't the only one sidelined by fire(s) and access closures.....a few of us also feel your pain.

28 minutes ago, Sourdough Scott said:

it's just 2 weeks to slow the spread

I dare you to drive this way and look at it this evening (8/25 17:30hrs). You think them Nevada boys would adopt us for about a month?