Equinox 600 And 800 Book Review

maxxkatt

You have basically four books on the Equinox metal detector to choose from.

1)    The Minelab Equinox 600 800 Metal Detector Hand book by Andy Sabisch $23.95 - 176 pages
2)    Minelab The Equinox Series from Beginner to Advanced by Clive Clynik $19.95 - 111 pages
3)    The Minelab Equinox: “an Advanced Guide by Clive Clynik $22.95 - 101 pages
4)    Skill Building with The Minelab Equinox by Clive Clynik $21.95 - 119 pages

There may be more, but these are the ones I actually purchased. I have no relationship with either author other than some email questions. I also run two very technical book review web sites on college level books and above.

Andy’s book is well edited, with slick photographs and a large easy to read format with some general information on the Equinox detector. However, in my opinion it is padded with photos and testimonials that really don’t add much to the Equinox knowledge.

Clive’s books are more expensive if you buy all three of them. Smaller format and yes, there are some spelling mistakes Clive did not catch. But, for the amount of pure Equinox knowledge (especially for the 800), these books are packed from cover to cover with very useful Equinox information. I find myself highlighting quite a bit in each of Clive’s books.
I have many years of metal detecting experience with various metal detectors under my belt. Nothing prepared me for the 800. My previous detector was the very good Garrett AT Pro. Prior to the Equinox, I feel the AT Pro was the best mid-range metal detector available.

That all changed in the Spring of 2018 when detectorists started buying the 800. Most people at that time could not or refused to believe the 800 was as good as Minelab and a few others were saying.
Big caveat here, this was not your father’s detector. It is a very powerful and complex mid-ranged metal detector. Until you tame it, you will be frustrated unless you learn to just use it as the Minelab engineers designed it and that is to use the standard modes until you have at least 50 hours on the 800 or 600.

And that brings me to Clive’s three books. They will show you how to get the most out of your equinox. If you are content with hunting in the standard modes maybe buying just Clive’s first book.
Bottom line, I kept all three of Clive’s books and sold Andy’s book. But the safe choice would be to purchase all four books.

• Like 5

I've read all of them too, mostly while waiting for Christmas when I got my 600. 😀 Not much of it really clicked until much later when I went other places than the farms in front of my house. Honestly I got the most help from interacting and reading here on the forum.

I've always read the manual before using a high tech device or concept, even if you don't get it at first you find out later that all that information made a difference. It's good to go back now and again as well.

• Like 5

Your cup will be running over with all the help you can get on here. It’s videos on here and YouTube that can answer any question you may have. But if not just ask it and so many will come to your aide so to speak.

As you well know it’s lots of books that will help you along.

Best to you !

Chuck 

• Like 2

totally agree with F350Platinum and Ridge Runner. After reading theses four books, I tried to put into use in the field and most clicked for me. But sometimes I had to re-read certain parts I was still unclear about. The absolute best source is the forums. This forum is tops, and I have a friend on another forum who is great at answering any question  I have about metal detecting regardless of how technical it may be.

• Like 2

I'll say this.  Thanks Max for helping to promote my books.  I don't consider them to be definitive but they do reflect a lot of time swinging with all types for machines.  One thing my top pro buddy said to me years ago that I believe to be true is that  "You pay to learn" one way or the other--no exceptions.   I also see a lot of hunters who say that they "dig everything".  For the new hunter--this is the way to pay the most--with your time.    While there are a lot of good specific tweaks and tips on the groups and YouTube, having some general theory under your belt lets you begin to learn on your own and at the actual places you hunt.  Simple basic skills will also boost your accuracy and reduce frustration.  These are all based upon the simple rules of detector physics.  Nowhere in any of these posts and videos do I see any of these "old skills" mentioned but they are the bread and butter of learning to find treasure instead of junk.  Just for the record, all of my books sell for $16.95. cjc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, cjc said:

I'll say this.  Thanks Max for helping to promote my books.  I don't consider them to be definitive but they do reflect a lot of time swinging with all types for machines.  One thing my top pro buddy said to me years ago that I believe to be true is that  "You pay to learn" one way or the other--no exceptions.   I also see a lot of hunters who say that they "dig everything".  For the new hunter--this is the way to pay the most--with your time.    While there are a lot of good specific tweaks and tips on the groups and YouTube, having some general theory under your belt lets you begin to learn on your own and at the actual places you hunt.  Simple basic skills will also boost your accuracy and reduce frustration.  These are all based upon the simple rules of detector physics.  Nowhere in any of these posts and videos do I see any of these "old skills" mentioned but they are the bread and butter of learning to find treasure instead of junk.  Just for the record, all of my books sell for $16.95. cjc

Well said. I have had my 800 for a year now and have many hours of hunting in. I have read lots on the forums, watched videos, asked lots of questions, tweaked and re-tweaked. The thing that helps the most is time using the machine and figuring it out with your brain and techniques. Nothing can replace that.

• Like 1

I have all four of the books listed by maxxkatt. Andy's book clarifies the owners manual in a few places. Clive's books gave me a better understanding about how the 800 functions. It also explained how the settings interacted with each other and affected the operation. 

• Like 1