Equinox 11" Coil Repair

Tometusns

Well, after over 3 yrs my 11" coil broke an ear. Here are pics of my attempt to make it stronger than new.🙂 

Put the fiber glass on with super glue then a layer of epoxy over that. I'm not sure it needed the epoxy but it smoothed it out. Little black paint coming. 20210821_181047.thumb.jpg.cb5a737ffd64be8483d259618d95fd4a.jpg

20210821_092705.jpg

20210821_171337.jpg

20210821_171315.jpg

20210821_180917_HDR.jpg

20210821_181131.jpg

• Like 9

Great idea...patch it just like a car or canoe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, strick said:

worth a shot let us know how it works out! do you ever try those ear stiffeners? 

strick

I was actually going to put one on after I repaired it but it seems to be way stronger now so I'm just gonna try it out. I'll for sure let ya know how it holds up. 

• Like 1

I bought a couple of them and one fits my equinox large coil perfectly but the one for the standard coil is loose so I'll have to do some mods to it to get it to work...they looks to be crude 3d printed so the tolerances are not all that great. 

strick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tometusns said:

Well, after over 3 yrs my 11" coil broke an ear. Here are pics of my attempt to make it stronger than new.🙂 

Put the fiber glass on with super glue then a layer of epoxy over that. I'm not sure it needed the epoxy but it smoothed it out. Little black paint coming. 20210821_181047.thumb.jpg.cb5a737ffd64be8483d259618d95fd4a.jpg

20210821_092705.jpg

20210821_171337.jpg

20210821_171315.jpg

20210821_180917_HDR.jpg

20210821_181131.jpg

That will not be strong enough. Get a solid coil ear support and epoxy it on with the rest of it. 

9 minutes ago, midalake said:

That will not be strong enough. Get a solid coil ear support and epoxy it on with the rest of it. 

I tried it on a plastic picnic fork first without the extra layer of epoxy. I could not break the fork. It broke at both ends of the fiberglass but I could not break the fiberglass over the fork part and it was just on one side. I didn't use pliers just my hands. I fiberglassed both sides of the ear. 

You might be right about it not holding but I'm going to give it a go. I couldn't believe what it did to the fork as far as strength. That's when I decided to try it on the ear. Perhaps I should go ahead and get the extra support bracket. I figure if it doesn't hold that's my next option....I just want to see what happens..lol

• Like 3

Just now, Tometusns said:

I tried it on a plastic picnic fork first without the extra layer of epoxy. I could not break the fork. It broke at both ends of the fiberglass but I could not break the fiberglass over the fork part and it was just on one side. I didn't use pliers just my hands. I fiberglassed both sides of the ear. 

You might be right about it not holding but I'm going to give it a go. I couldn't believe what it did to the fork as far as strength. That's when I decided to try it on the ear. Perhaps I should go ahead and get the extra support bracket. I figure if it doesn't hold that's my next option....I just want to see what happens..lol

I broke a coil ear way back. Now I mod all my coils NEVER to break again!

coil 1.jpg

• Like 1

You might as well do the other side now, because it will go too! 

Also, doesn't doing the inside change the tolerances for your shaft end to fit, or will you just shave it to fit?

Good luck with your repairs!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, midalake said:

I broke a coil ear way back. Now I mod all my coils NEVER to break again!

coil 1.jpg

That's what I was going to do and still may before it's all over. If I just went ahead and did that now I wouldn't have to worry at all. I just kinda want to test my work.😁 Thanks for the sound advice. 

• Like 4