Equinox 11" Coil Repair

Tometusns

15 hours ago, Joe D. said:

You might as well do the other side now, because it will go too! 

Also, doesn't doing the inside change the tolerances for your shaft end to fit, or will you just shave it to fit?

Good luck with your repairs!👍👍

Rich, I went ahead and did the other side. The shaft fit after I did the first side but I don't think it would have if I would have done all the inside part of the other ear so I left it off where the shaft sets. Anyways, it sure made those ears pretty rigid. I'm thinking it might work.. Tom

• Like 1

I've had three 11" coils break ears! And replaced under warranty! (And yes, I replace my washers as directed!) And also two Pods! The last coil broke right before a trip out of state, so I used JB Quick Weld, and fiber washers on the outside, to rebuild it for the trip! It worked fine, but when I got back, I emailed ML with pictures, explaining the situation, to be sure i could still replace under warranty! They did send me a new one with no questions asked! I only paid to ship the old one to them!

MLS warranty work has been great so far; kudos to them for that!! But I would like to see them fix the flaw's eventually; including the Pod issues!! I'm no engineer, but I think I have a good handle of what the issues are, and have sent them my suggestions to remedy; for what it's worth! And I'm sure many other's have done the same!!👍👍

• Like 4

I just had guy I know make me some of these gadgets, these are his ones and mine are on their way, I currently have one for my 11" that's been there for a year or more but I've got a set of 3 coming from him to fit all of my genuine Nox coils.

I've never broken an ear and my coils get quite a beating.  Fingers crossed it never happens as my Nox is probably out of warranty now, had it since they first hit the market.

1269067743_coilprotection.jpg.516f6eee4f9b871bc429f951e3a3f893.jpg

• Like 5

Look's good Simon,

I have one on my last coil; fingers crossed!🤞

Soooo....one of these days, we yanks may show up on your doorstep..... We may warn you ahead of time!....🙈🤣

Just kidding, we will warn you; so you don't answer the door!!😂👍👍

• Haha 4

I am picking that this issue is going to be a problem with the GPX 6000 coil ears. They don't seem very robust compared to the GPZ 7000. You can use that detector like a weed eater (whipper sniper) through long grass with the aid of the swing arm just flattening the grass. In my opinion the 6000 coils & shaft will not handle or tolerate that & the 17" coil I imagine would be even worse. The price you pay for making things light weight I guess. Structural integrity is compromised. The 11" coil is holding up but I dare not run it in among long grass.

Nice repair on the Nox coil.

Hi Phrunt. Are those ear supports made here in NZ. Can you please put up a link or contact for them? Thank you.

Greg

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Hi Phrunt. Are those ear supports made here in NZ. Can you please put up a link or contact for them? Thank you.

Greg

Yup, they're made in NZ. The guy making them doesn't use forums.  I will ask for his email address and pass it onto you with a private message so you can order a set, they're $25 NZD for a set of 3 plus postage.

• Like 1

I'm using this one, have been since I got my Equinox. Got it from eBay in advance, read all the threads about breaking ears.

I like the thickness of the side bolsters. They are really strong, and I'm using the original bolt. Best part is the slots for using zip ties to hold the coil, even if an ear breaks I'll never notice.

Of course since I got the Coiltek 10x5 I haven't been using the stock coil too much 😀20210823_203515.thumb.jpg.05a6669e1c125e0c02fb319822aa51d3.jpg

Now I have to find one for the 10x5 that doesn't come from England for $53. 🤬

• Like 2

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm using this one, have been since I got my Equinox. Got it from eBay in advance, read all the threads about breaking ears.

I like the thickness of the side bolsters. They are really strong, and I'm using the original bolt. Best part is the slots for using zip ties to hold the coil, even if an ear breaks I'll never notice.

Of course since I got the Coiltek 20210823_203515.thumb.jpg.c54cadb715b1513fd52a900a98befcaf.jpg10x5 I haven't been using the stock coil too much 😀

F350Platinum,

I like the way that works. May end up with one of those ear supports before is all over. 

I have thought it was kinda good that the ear broke on my 11" because it forced me to use the 5x10 all the time. Since then I have gained confidence in it. So in that regard it was a good thing it broke.🤔 Having said that I'll also say I'm very happy to have the 11" back up and going. I like both coils but as it should the 11" has a little more depth. Tom

• Like 3