Equinox 11" Coil Repair

Tometusns

2 minutes ago, Tometusns said:

F350Platinum,

I like the way that works. May end up with one of those ear supports before is all over. 

I have thought it was kinda good that the ear broke on my 11" because it forced me to use the 5x10 all the time. Since then I have gained confidence in it. So it that regard it was a good thing it broke.🤔 Having said that I'll also say I'm very happy to have the 11" back up and going. I like both coils but as it should the 11" has a little more depth. Tom

If you're interested look for "Equinox yoke strengthener" on eBay, and get the one made by "snowdak". I'd post a link but eBay links are fickle. It's 15 bucks. 🙂 It's a little unpolished, but supposedly is stronger than others. Works great.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yup, they're made in NZ. The guy making them doesn't use forums.  I will ask for his email address and pass it onto you with a private message so you can order a set, they're $25 NZD for a set of 3 plus postage.

Thank you. Are they 3D printed?

7 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Thank you. Are they 3D printed?

Yes they are. 🙂 He says something about 80% backfill whatever that means.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I'll also say I'm very happy to have the 11" back up and going. I like both coils but as it should the 11" has a little more depth. Tom

I haven't found that myself. Yesterday I dug a small piece of aluminum that was over 14" deep in clay/sand soil with a 4" topsoil. That and 4"+ of grass on top! 

I'm running at full sensitivity, and only have real experience with the Equinox so I could be wrong, but I'm happy to see a result like that.

• Oh my! 1

56 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I haven't found that myself. Yesterday I dug a small piece of aluminum that was over 14" deep in clay/sand soil with a 4" topsoil. That and 4"+ of grass on top! 

I'm running at full sensitivity, and only have real experience with the Equinox so I could be wrong, but I'm happy to see a result like that.

F350Platinum,

All I can account for is the type soil we have here in this area.  I have found plenty of coins with the 11" coil at the 10" plus depth. Took a few videos and actually sent one to a friend of live digs when I was pretty confident I had a deep coin. The 5X10 is very respectable and as I stated in an earlier post I've been using it exclusively since the 11" went down. When you get to the edge of detection depth you just know. I was very pleased with the 5X10 and I dug one wheatie and one merc that were just over 9" but the signal was such most people wouldn't dig it but it sounded like a deep coin to me and a very easy target to miss. I just knew I was pushing the edge of the detection depth on that coil. But it did tell me they were there. Because of past experience with the 11" I know for sure it's a little deeper perhaps close to two inches on penny dime size targets. I'll be going back over that area with the 11" in a few weeks hoping to find a few more deeper coins. 

Both great coils and the only two I've kept out of the three minelab and 5x10 coiltek that I've used. Nothing wrong with the 6" or 15" Minelab I'm just content with the 11" and 5X10 coils.

I gave my son the 6" and he really likes it for yards as I did. The 5x10 has replaced it for me. The 15" is probably a touch deeper than the 11" but the weight although not terrible was just more than I wanted to swing. I'm just happy to have ole#11 back in service...hopefully for many more years. Ears hoping!😁

HH! Tom

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Maiden voyage with the coil ear repair. All went well with no problems at all. I really think the fiberglass has made them much stronger and will really be disappointed if they don't last from now on. Thanks! 20210911_131432.thumb.jpg.da100cbb0ce9fd9c48d62f4897a89a28.jpg

• Like 2