Gold Bug Pro With 10"DD Coil Vs F75 With 6.5 Or 10" Concentric Coils

This question has been in the back of my mind for a while now. If nugget shooting in mild to moderate ground or even stretches of exposed bedrock in a desert wash, how would the 19kHz GB Pro w/stock 10" DD coil perform compared to the 13 kHz F75 w/ 6.5" or 10" concentric elliptical coils? I was going to PM Steve directly with my question but thought forum participation would be better. Thanks for the input,,,,Rob

Thank you very much! If people send me a PM asking detector questions I try as nicely as possible to tell them to just post it on the forum. Kind of the whole point of the thing, questions get asked by one, answers shared by all.

I have run the F75 and Gold Bug Pro against each other in various detecting scenarios with different coils for years. It is an incredibly close call and rather textbook. The Gold Bug Pro exhibits a very slight edge on smaller gold due to the 19 kHz operating frequency. However, on large nuggets, like 1/4 oz and larger in mild to medium ground the F75 has a very slight edge. This resulted in the F75 being my choice at Ganes Creek, Alaska.

They are however very close and nearly all gold both will hit as well. The issue as I see it boils down to a couple things. First, most people are not finding lots of 1/4 oz and larger nuggets. The Gold Bug Pro is better on the gold most people are likely to be finding and the gold that does add up over time. And it costs half as much as the F75. The F75 on the other hand offers a full suite of features for coin detecting and will punch deeper on high conductor targets like coins.

If you mix and use different coils it makes it impossible to say. Putting the 6.5" concentric on the F75 and running it against the Gold Bug Pro with 10" DD coil may now give the F75 the edge on small gold or at least close the gap. The 10" concentric only excels in low mineral ground and will hurt you in really bad ground, so the ground conditions matter a lot. Bottom line with two machines that are so close anyway mixing coils can either close the gap or widen it depending on ground conditions.

For all but a very few prospectors the Gold Bug Pro is the easy recommendation. The F75 however for somebody who really does want to use the machine a lot for park detecting etc. offers many more options and gives up very little by way of prospecting capability. I would look at either from the perspective of what the intended primary use will be.

My F75 is currently up for sale but I am having second thoughts at the moment. Just a great all around detector and one that has been good to me over the years.

• The title was changed to Gold Bug Pro With 10"DD Coil Vs F75 With 6.5 Or 10" Concentric Coils