Coil Question For Equinox Owners

☠ Cipher

Who among you has experienced a coil ear breakage? Among those who have experienced a coil ear breakage, how many use or have used the coil/machine under water? I ask because I’m wondering if the added pressure of resistance under the water is the primary cause of breakage (aside from obvious design flaw). I use mine under water occasionally but haven’t had a breakage yet, and trying to avoid one until I buy a coil ear stiffener. Being aware of this issue I try not to over tighten too. 

• Like 3

I have an 800 and have not had that problem.  I have a 17"/3030 coil that broke on the ears over 4 years ago.  I searched and searched for a remedy for that problem and ended up getting a kit from a guy in the Northeast who used some space age foam/plastic.  His kit kinda worked but then you had to attach/glue it to the coil which was a problem.  The solution was to make a part with a little bit of flex so you could tighten it with the screw to keep it from flopping up and down.  Then you take that and get some plastic ties and cinch that down on the coil.  That then takes the flex pressure off of a rigid/glued system of breakage.

I was very disappointed when Minelab's 800 coils were made with a failed system.  I haven't had a problem but I am keenly aware of where and how the ears break.  When you tighten the bolt very tight it puts pressure on the base of the ear just above the coil.  The screw head is so wide it rips at the base of the ear.  This lateral force caused by the mechanical advantage of the screw is ALWAYS exerting a force to break the plastic.  Now when you get it very tight and you tap the end of your coil to the ground to level or point with it you are providing an additional amplified force which wants to RIP the ear off the coil.

I couldn't get Minelab to replace my 17" CTX coil.  If anything happens like that to my 15" Equinox coil I'll find a yoke and tie it on like I do with the 17.  Those ties never broke but I'd just replace them if they did and I didn't feel any looseness because I pulled them tight with pliers.

• Like 2

It took over three years for mine to break but it finally did. I have never used it in the water. I haven't babied the coil either...it's been in bean and corn stubble many times. It's hard to hunt those places without banging it around some. I probably should have got one of those ear supports a long time ago but was thinking "why, mines fine"...ooops! My thinking now would be get one before something goes wrong.

I get the disappointment and it is but also not a very expensive insurance policy either. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Who among you has experienced a coil ear breakage? Among those who have experienced a coil ear breakage, how many use or have used the coil/machine under water? I ask because I’m wondering if the added pressure of resistance under the water is the primary cause of breakage (aside from obvious design flaw). I use mine under water occasionally but haven’t had a breakage yet, and trying to avoid one until I buy a coil ear stiffener. Being aware of this issue I try not to over tighten too. 

It is a design flaw, PERIOD. 

I recommend not only to get a quality ear stiffener and epoxy it on to the coil. But then also add side plates epoxied to either side. I am in the process of doing my 15" coil right now. 

Water hunters have more issues with the pressures involved and added weight of water and sand between the coil and cover when going in and out of the water. 

Do your self a big favor and get it done soon. 

• Like 3

I have had 5 different Equinox 600 and 800s all with 11" coils. No coil ear breakage when used on dry land or in shallow, gentle water. When I hunt salt water surf or faster moving freshwater I use the 6" coil. No problems with it either. No control box leaks either.

• Like 2

This subject has been hit many times! And based on this small sample of responses so far; as in the past, it's not a big enough problem for ML to change their designs at this time! It is deemed to be "user specific" for whatever reason! But, as long as they are under warranty, ML is replacing the parts! So I am ok with that, for now!

According to one of the main North American Reps for ML, it's an issue of overtightining, and/or lack of replacement of rubber washers on a timely basis! Weather we believe that or not, appears to be our issue, not theirs! They, like many companies, are not going to admit fault, and have a flood of claims with no end! Shareholders are not willing to take that kind of hit! They will just honor the warranty (Thank you!), and quietly address any flaws in their next production model that replaces the Equinox; ideally, and hopefully!

None of us that have had this problem, have to be happy with this, and have the option to buy elsewhere! But I don't think ML will loose any sleep over a small amount of lost sales! This has been a record earnings year for them, and as long as gold remains high, will continue into the foreseeable future!

This all, of course, is one man's opinion, and in no way speaks for any of you great people on the forum, or others! I just wanted to lay it out for anyone who may not be aware of the background thus far! These are only the facts as I know them, and there are others here that know much more about the internal workings of company sales and service, than myself! Including having to answer to investors for such things!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 800 is well past the 3 year warranty.  The stock coil ears broke in April 2020 hunting dry land and with a coil ear support gizmo attached.  The support gizmo didn't prevent the breakage.  I would not recommend one of those 3D printed devices.  I use the Nox in fresh and saltwater, often completely submerged, as well as dry land in every type of terrain.  
Gigmaster put up a YouTube video showing his coil ear reinforcement:

I did this reinforcement using the same materials and it came out great and feels solid as a rock and is holding up perfectly.

• Like 2

I purchased my 800 in early Nov. 2018. I have a gazillion hours on it. Never had a coil ear break and hope I don't. I have 2 800's now plus a Coiltek 10x5 I am leaving on one one of them for now. So I have 2 11" coils in case I do ever break an ear. Weird some people break ears on multiple coils and some folks never break any!

Looks like a good idea to use a little of that Gorilla to strengthen the ears to aid in prevention before breakage. 

strick

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Coil Question For Equinox Owners