Coil Question For Equinox Owners

☠ Cipher

1 hour ago, TedinVT said:

My 800 is well past the 3 year warranty.  The stock coil ears broke in April 2020 hunting dry land and with a coil ear support gizmo attached.  The support gizmo didn't prevent the breakage.  I would not recommend one of those 3D printed devices.  I use the Nox in fresh and saltwater, often completely submerged, as well as dry land in every type of terrain.  
Gigmaster put up a YouTube video showing his coil ear reinforcement:

I did this reinforcement using the same materials and it came out great and feels solid as a rock and is holding up perfectly.

First off you are correct. A coil ear support is pretty much useless unless you epoxy it to the coil and ears.

Make it one with the coil.  I know, because I broke a coil ear with a support on. 

Gig has got it partially correct. If he would of epoxied a coil support on first. THEN add the extra piece on the outside he would have the ultimate fix. Just like me 😁 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, TedinVT said:

My 800 is well past the 3 year warranty.  The stock coil ears broke in April 2020 hunting dry land and with a coil ear support gizmo attached.  The support gizmo didn't prevent the breakage.  I would not recommend one of those 3D printed devices.  I use the Nox in fresh and saltwater, often completely submerged, as well as dry land in every type of terrain.  

I just completed reinforcement of my Minelab Equinox 15" coil.

Epoxied on coil mount support.  Then additional epoxied side plates to each side.

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

• Like 1

3 1/2 years, 2-3 times a week,  2-4hrs of use per hunt - nothing broken yet. Occasionally waterhunting, but primarily beaches and fields. I use an aftermarket carbon shaft from the uk, no coilsafer, still the 1st washers.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Coil Question For Equinox Owners
1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I own the oldest Equinox coils in the country, tons of hours, never had a problem. I suspect over-tightening and/or physically leaning on coils has a lot to do with it.

I often wonder if I’m worrying for nothing. It’s like you’ve said before, we only hear when things go bad. I tend to have a light-moderate touch with my equipment and never experience any problems. I can’t think of a good reason to be “hard” on my equipment. I’ve noticed over the years that some users consistently encounter problems most do not.

• Like 3

I could have sworn that somewhere in the manual, ML said that the detector can be used as a crutch, cane, or club, in emergency situations! Never thought that any parts would break......😜👍👍

• Haha 3

On 9/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I suspect over-tightening and/or physically leaning on coils has a lot to do with it.

I often see people wiping the sand away with the coil, to narrow down the target - I try to avoid that bad habit as much as I can..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I often see people wiping the sand away with the coil,...

The hardest I am on coils is when the grass hasn't been cut for quite a while and I try to get my coil as close to the ground (soil) as possible by forcing the coil through the grass.  (That's hard on my elbow, etc. and I pay for it later....)  Still haven't broken anything, though.

I do wonder if salt water has a deteriorating effect on the plastic.  But if that's the case, wouldn't it become noticeable on other water detectors?  Here I'm assuming manufacturers use the same plastic resin, so that may be a difference.

I recall Simon (Phrunt) posting the idea of using spray on silicone as a lubricant for the rubber washers.  I took him up on that idea and it works well for me.  I don't like my coils too loose but I definitely want to be able to change the angle (coil-to-shaft) by pressing the coil to the ground, not having to reach down with my hand to perform that.  The silicone facilitates this technique still without requiring over-tightening.

Another issue for me is the screw/bolt and nut.  Seems like every manufacturer (and sometimes every model made, even by the same manufacturer) does it differently.  I prefer the standard screw and wing nut design (ala White's and Coiltek, for examples) as opposed to the closed nut method as it's too easy for the latter to get loose without me noticing (and then, on a bad day, fall off and getting lost).  I wonder if the exposed threads outside the (open) nut is a concern -- vulnerable to getting dirty with the result of the threads getting munged up when the nut is removed (without first cleaning the threads).  Here I like to use another spray on lubricant ('teflon' type).  And I wish more manufacturers would use common screw and nut products that you can eassily get at other outlets, for a reasonable cost, rather than a custom version they then sell for an arm and a leg.  (I know, bitch, bitch, bitch....)