Is It Time For Minelab To Make A New Beach Pi?

mn90403

I would think there would be a market for one if it had full discrimination attached 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It seems to me a discriminating PI is the holy grail which might be why the Impulse AQ crew tried to make out in their marketing that's what they had......  although not quite.

Hopefully in my lifetime one is made, I don't want to get old and have to dig everything and I find beach hunting to be an easy sort of detecting, easy to dig and finds readily available, it's something I plan to do more of at some point in time as a summer activity. 

If VLF tech has truly hit it's depth limits then I will want something deeper at some stage as I've used my previously owned QED on the beach and saw the beauty of a PI on the beach, the nice big coils for ground coverage (I used the 15" round X-coil) and screaming on old deep coins my Nox didn't even sound off on at all as I tested them side by side.   I would like to use a rig like that as a beach detector but only if it had discrimination and ideally Target ID.

Is it that no one has bothered to make Target ID on a PI or is it an impossibility with current technology?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I would think there would be a market for one if it had full discrimination attached 😄

Said by a man who kills the beach with a 5000!

I really do need to use it again on the beach.  I used it for almost 2 years before I got a second hand SE Pro.  That killed my 5000 at the beach for fear it would corrode from the salt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Said by a man who kills the beach with a 5000!

I really do need to use it again on the beach.  I used it for almost 2 years before I got a second hand SE Pro.  That killed my 5000 at the beach for fear it would corrode from the salt.

Yeah but, a GPX 5000 "D" has a nice ring to it.  Just think of how many more silvers can be had if they just add the letter D. 😄 So far I have not had any salt issues that have surfaced. I'm sure there is damage happening inside but no issues yet. I did have one knob freeze up on me so hard that I could not change settings. From then on, I use electronic contact cleaner on them and they work fine.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Use "tuner/fader cleaner" if you can find some , it has lube mixed in with the cleaner.

Link :

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-F5S-H6-DeoxIT-FaderLube-Spray/dp/B00006LVF1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3OQ941EJ6UO7E&dchild=1&keywords=deoxit+f5+fader+cleaner&qid=1632395618&sprefix=DeOxit+F5%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-3

DeOxit also comes in other formulations..

D5 is awesome contact cleaner / preserver

S5 is a sealer for harsh environments.

I haven't tried the S5 yet but the D5 and F5 have been road tested many times in the last ~40 years !  Top shelf stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I love CRC silicone but wouldn't use it for switches or electronics, proper electronic cleaner is best for that, silicone leaves a film that could cause contact problems.  The silicone is great for lubrication and restoring and protecting plastics and rubber though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

mn

Do you mean using silicone after using contact cleaner ? Never tried it but probably not a good pick. I guess you could try it and if you have issues , use contact cleaner again to remove it.   WD40 would be another "what's on hand" option but it dries and loses most of it's lubing ability.  

I have a working 5000 that I bought in 2010.  It was the best money could buy at the time and that is what I used to find my first nuggets.  Before I used it nugget hunting I used it on beaches of Southern California.  I've never sprayed it with anything and there is nothing frozen on it now but I might just want to give it a treatment, if I know the right kind.

This is getting 'off-topic' and perhaps we should start a thread on how to keep your old machines in shape with the right spray?

• Like 3