Is It Time For Minelab To Make A New Beach Pi?

mn90403

I use this for my Marshall amps. They get the dirty crackly pot sounds, so I just bought something specifically for electronics. If it's out of warranty, then I spray it. But back to the Minelab's newest PI? Only Minelab really knows if there is going to be one or not. But if it's going to be a simplified machine with not much user input, I'm waiting to try one first before I bite this time. I like to have more control options at hand then just some basic setting changes.

P9260223.JPG

• Like 3

On 9/24/2021 at 4:11 AM, afreakofnature said:

SDC2300 might be a good beach PI.  Waterproof and has salt settings.  I am gonna try mine this winter and try to find a new use for it now that i have a 6k

How well do sdc2300 perform in the salt water chest deep? falsing?stable? deep on targets?worth spending so much money for water hunting?

I've dug more gold rings at the ocean beaches with my Minelab Sovereign Elite. You won't dig rusty bottle caps because it makes a special sound unlike the Equinox.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

I've dug more gold rings at the ocean beaches with my Minelab Sovereign Elite. You won't dig rusty bottle caps because it makes a special sound unlike the Equinox.

Hi George!

Sov is a classic, but do you mean the Sov audio for bottlecaps is unlike the Equinox or you dug less bottlecaps with the Sov than the Equinox?   I ask because, while I have not used the Sov, with respect to bottlecap rejection,  I rarely unintentionally dig rusty bottlecaps at the beach with the Equinox.  I don't recall how long you had the Equinox, but I do recall you were not fond of it.   It has a few rusty bottlecap tells that may not be readily obvious to the inexperienced Equinox user or if you are running it at default beach settings, notably 5 tones with disc applied, so I'm not surprised you may have missed them.  Inexperienced Nox users routinely complain of digging bottlecaps throwing repeatable mid or high tones, and if they don't have audio or disc set up right, will scoop those caps.  On rusty crown caps, it routinely throws  multiple IDs (which is unmistakably obvious audibly if running 50 tones) and with iron bias applied you get a telltale grunt off the edge of the coil if you are running no disc (or if you briefly engage no disc with the horseshoe button).  These settings (50 tones and no disc) have zero downside for me when I beach hunt.  I scoop the first couple crowncaps just to confirm I have the telltale crowncap audio committed to my brain at the start of a beach run then just ignore them for the rest of the session.  It's pretty foolproof.

The Coiltek Nox 5x10 maintains or perhaps even slightly enhances this bottlecap tell and I discuss it more here and here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The Coiltek Nox 5x10 maintains or perhaps even slightly enhances this bottlecap tell and I discuss it more here and here.

I'm gonna second this emotion 😀

I routinely run the 10x5 on my Equinox 600, and pushing IB to F2=3 (max) makes bottle caps stick out like a sore thumb. I only dig, pick up, or scoop them now as a courtesy or if I'm feeling froggy. The tone pattern is very distinct. I do think the 11" isn't as good in this respect just coming back from using both in a 4 day hunt.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Hi George!

Sov is a classic, but do you mean the Sov audio for bottlecaps is unlike the Equinox or you dug less bottlecaps with the Sov than the Equinox?   I ask because, while I have not used the Sov, with respect to bottlecap rejection,  I rarely unintentionally dig rusty bottlecaps at the beach with the Equinox.  I don't recall how long you had the Equinox, but I do recall you were not fond of it.   It has a few rusty bottlecap tells that may not be readily obvious to the inexperienced Equinox user or if you are running it at default beach settings, notably 5 tones with disc applied, so I'm not surprised you may have missed them.  Inexperienced Nox users routinely complain of digging bottlecaps throwing repeatable mid or high tones, and if they don't have audio or disc set up right, will scoop those caps.  On rusty crown caps, it routinely throws  multiple IDs (which is unmistakably obvious audibly if running 50 tones) and with iron bias applied you get a telltale grunt off the edge of the coil if you are running no disc (or if you briefly engage no disc with the horseshoe button).  These settings (50 tones and no disc) have zero downside for me when I beach hunt.  I scoop the first couple crowncaps just to confirm I have the telltale crowncap audio committed to my brain at the start of a beach run then just ignore them for the rest of the session.  It's pretty foolproof.

Never a doubt with the Sovereign. And yes I was, and still am not a big fan of the Nox. Hope your well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pushing the Iron Bias on the Nox indeed gives it attributes kind of like a BBS machine.

Dropping the recovery speed lower again makes it a sort of BBS detector.

However a BBS machine: farts, burps, hickups, murmers and sings at you.

Whereas the Nox just kind of BEEPS with alternate tones. Easier to relate to if you’re a Beep and dig kind of guy. But if you like have a good conversation with your detector it gets pretty boring pretty quick.

The performance is there in the Nox, the audio is lacking.

As for a beach PI, give a shout out to Vallon. Built like a tank and will have you digging up the beach like it’s been bombarded. My multi frequency machines have been designated recon. 1 deep old find does the trick, out comes the Vallon.