Anyone Using The Coiltek 15" Nox Coil?

I"m curious if anyone has tried the Coiltek 15" NOX coil and if so their thoughts on it.

This is the coil: https://coiltek.com.au/coils/nox/15-nox-coil/

I used a WOT coil for several years and liked it but ultimately the weight did me in.  The coverage area of this new coil intrigues me but I am concerned about the weight.

Bill (S. CA)

It is heavier, if you strap a full can of coke to the stock 11” coil the weight will be pretty close. I took a chance on it and also use a counter weight. One thing I noticed is that I cannot swing it as fast as the 11. I have been to the beach mainly just to physically see if I can swing it for an extended time. I can do it 3-4 hours. It is very easy to pinpoint using the coil edge or the center (using pinpoint button).

As far as depth, I do not have a definitive answer. It should be deeper than the 11 but there have been no targets to verify that. It is as sensitive as the 11.

I also use both arms to share the effort. 

1 hour ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I"m curious if anyone has tried the Coiltek 15" NOX coil and if so their thoughts on it.

This is the coil: https://coiltek.com.au/coils/nox/15-nox-coil/

I used a WOT coil for several years and liked it but ultimately the weight did me in.  The coverage area of this new coil intrigues me but I am concerned about the weight.

Bill (S. CA)

If all you are looking for is coverage (not additional depth) the ML 12x15 gives equivalent 15" swing coverage at about 176 grams less weight.

• Like 3

I've been using the Coiltek 15" on my Nox on the beach all summer. It felt a little heavy when I first put it on. I didn't notice it after a couple trips. I use a Steve's Detector rod with counterweight and it balances the additional weight nicely.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.  It sounds like a counterweight is a good idea if I decide to go for this coil.  I had a chance to borrow a 15" ML coil and didn't care for it.  Too nose heavy for me but I don't have a counterweight on my 800.

Bill

If you thought the ML 12x15" coil was nose heavy weighing in at .4 lbs LESS than the Coiltek 15", then yes, I would definitely consider a counterweight if you are still considering this beast.  But it is not going to give you any better coverage than the ML 15" coil, just slightly better depth (perhaps an inch or two under ideal conditons).  Also note that if your soil is mild to hot, the greater footprint of the Nox 15" round may churn up more ground noise on the Equinox.  And even though the balance will be better with the counterweight, you will still be supporting both the additional weight of the coil AND the additional weight of the counterweight so keep that in mind.  GL HH.

• Like 4

I haven't found any real difference between the ML 12x15'' coil and the Coiltek 15'' coil.. I was hoping it would punch a bit deeper but I'm not digging any deeper holes than I did with the ML coil.. maybe in perfect laboratory conditions it might be a bit better but in my experience in the field there's no difference.. I'm pissed off at myself I believed the hype and sales pitches surrounding this coil.. it turned into an expensive little exercise which only served to make the salesmen richer.. more fool me.. 

This is not to say that Coiltek coils are rubbish, far from it.. Most of my coils for my GPX 5000 are made by Coiltek and they've been excellent..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

If you thought the ML 12x15" coil was nose heavy weighing in at .4 lbs LESS than the Coiltek 15", then yes, I would definitely consider a counterweight if you are still considering this beast.  But it is not going to give you any better coverage than the ML 15" coil, just slightly better depth (perhaps an inch or two under ideal conditons).  Also note that if your soil is mild to hot, the greater footprint of the Nox 15" round may churn up more ground noise on the Equinox.  And even though the balance will be better with the counterweight, you will still be supporting both the additional weight of the coil AND the additional weight of the counterweight so keep that in mind.  GL HH.

It reminds me of the question "what's heavier, 5 pounds of feathers or 5 pounds of lead?"  I've tried a counter-weighted Equinox and to me the more weight you add the more fatigue you encourage.  Not for me. Honestly, I wish that there was a version of the old Bigfoot coil that would run on a MInelab.  I remember a couple of guys who hunted with those on their White's machines at Santa Monica years ago and did really well.  These mega coils are just too darn heavy.

• Like 5

I bought a slightly used one recently to try at the beach, so we will see how it goes! But mainly, I just want the extra coverage over the 11", and a test of some different coil tabs, other than the ML snappers!

I had already built my own counterweight!👍👍

• Like 3

Ok,

I went to one of my usual beaches to try the 15"! No test targets or depth comparison's; i just winged it! Weight was noticeable, but bringing it in closer to my feet helped, along with my counterweight! Not a coil for all day swinging, but I like the coverage, and it forced me to slow my swing down a bit!

First time out in quite a while, so my arm was not properly ready for detecting season! So I won't say that the coil is too heavy yet! And I still need to do some comparisons, but I mainly got it for more ground coverage, and also not having any other coils for my Nox, except stock 11", I waited (forever😂) for an aftermarket (used) version, that I knew would eventually turn up!

Even though this beach is extremely sanded in, and targets sparse, it had no trouble hitting large, small, or thin targets, shallow, and at decent depth! And was stable in All metal, Beach 1, and 2, sen. 20-22, F2-0! I also do factory reset when changing coils, and ground balanced several times as I went from dry to wet, and back, along with mode changes!

I lasted about an hour and a half, before the sun ran me off the beach!🥵  No great finds: a nickel, zincs, leaderwire and swivels, small lead weight, zipper pull, screw, an assortment of pull tabs, aluminum scraps, beer can, and of course bottlecaps, which were easily decernable, as was the can., but dug them anyway!

That's it for now!!👍👍20210903_011545.thumb.jpg.2d3dcd8d78705b14ca8979c2ccd56d72.jpg

I'm the blue spec in the middle, with "Big Brother" watching me!!🤣

• Like 7