2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I know the heritage of the 11X7" biaxial DD is very famous, but I have never liked that coil on any FTP detector in the areas that I used it.

I don't know any of the history of the coil and don't really care, I couldn't agree more about that coil, I felt the rear mount was awkward and just never found the coil performed well at all on either my Gold Bug Pro or T2, it certainly wasn't deep, and not sensitive to small targets either, sat in the middle somewhere.   That coil is what started me using aftermarket coils as I quite liked the detectors but really didn't like the coil.  The only worse coil was their 15", don't get me started on that 🙂

If they are making a new VLF it'd really have to be something special to get much interest or they're just wasting their time, although history would demonstrate it will just be another paint job, but in this case a paint job with new wheels (a new coil)

Just take a look at the thing, what a weird awkward design.

11coil-t2.jpg.a43d984c82155f4aca67362ab08adcd9.jpg

The rear mount makes the coil feel so weird, and then those raised thin ridges are just odd, I bet water hunters really love the drag they cause, but really I doubt they'd want that coil anywhere near the water with a rear mount it might bend down flat and become a paddle. 🙂

For someone that uses this coil and orders the new coil they'll likely be very impressed.  It will no doubt be a big step up.  I'm open to getting one, possibly for my T2 as my GBP's have too many coils already and I only have one extra coil for the T2 being the Mars Tiger,  other than that the 3 standard coils, this, the 5" and the 15".

• Like 2

That coil is horrible in the water. It didn't need those fins on it. Is there a reason the middle of the coil is raised up like that? It was a terrible design. Look at the new coil nice and smooth with no fins.

Why mention that the new coil will sweep thru the water nice? Unless a waterproof detector is coming out for it. Who wants to take there T2/F75 in the water?

Still I look forward to seeing more videos on the new coil. I want one for my T2se.

Who knows, maybe the coil will sell more First Texas detectors.

• Like 1

I just hope any new VLF detector isn't just a paint job that gets bundled with the new coil as the point of difference.  I wouldn't put it past them.  That'd be perfectly fine if they didn't market it as some new detector, instead of just the same detector with a different coil option.  I don't want to see an F75.5 Ultimate Plus Mega Super Deep Merry Christmas Happy Anniversary Gold Ultra edition bundled with this coil.

• Haha 3

My input often counts for very little around here, but at least I managed to convince them to put the clevis in the middle of the coil. The original 11" DD was designed to look cool (although to some people it looks awful) and not for functionality. Hopefully the 12" is a step in the right direction. The slight wedge-shape is again an unnecessary attempt at aesthetics but fortunately doesn't seem to create any problems. I gotta say, I took it into the surf and it was hands-down the easiest coil I've ever pushed through the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I took it into the surf and it was hands-down the easiest coil I've ever pushed through the water.

Have you ever tried the FZ-12 in the surf? I nearly drowned my CZ6A a couple times, but that FZ-12 handled the surf very well. 

It's a rare 12" coil.

Good to hear that it does work very well in the water. I hope there is a detector coming for it for water hunting.

19 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

It's a rare 12" coil.

Good to hear that it does work very well in the water. I hope there is a detector coming for it for water hunting.

Quite honestly, I have no idea.

FZ-12

fz-12.thumb.jpg.2d4046824f4f840e7fed0d379db46d3f.jpg

• Like 5