I can’t complain about the original 11x7. I’m one of those that think it looks pretty sharp on just about any of the First Texas machines. I don’t really have a point of comparison performance wise though. My Land Ranger Pro and F75 LTD Both came with it and never got to use any others. On the LTD it seemed to do its job. It hit crazy deep targets. I never took those machines in the water. One of the reasons I left the F-75 behind was I spend a good share of my summer in water nearly every day I can and wanted something waterproof even if I lost some depth. 

3 hours ago, Geotech said:

The slight wedge-shape is again an unnecessary attempt at aesthetics

I probably place more of a premium on aesthetics than the average detectorist, but if that was the attempt, it failed to my eye. Disrupts the symmetry, and if it does nothing for performance, does nothing for looks either. In any case, it kind of reminds me of the Detech SEF coils without the cross supports.

Aesthetics aren’t everything though I guess. Obviously not if I use an equinox and CTX, two fugly machines in my opinion. one overdone and the other underdone. Aesthetically, I’m more of an F-75 and V3i kind of guy. Simplex also payed attention to details Equinox didn’t. 

• Like 1

That 11" DD was the first DD coil First Texas Products had ever made and it took a little effort to get it approved as they had only made concentric up until then.   I had written a little piece about coils and posted it on the old BH forum.  Dave Johnson told me he used that post to get Tom to buy into a DD coil design.  I ended up getting to help prototype both the coil and the T2 detector he/they designed around it.  

I've been waiting to buy this new 12" DD coil for a very long time.  I think I still have one or two of the early prototypes lying around here somewhere.  The finished product is a very nice looking coil as you saw in the video.  It looks good, it feels good on the end of the detector and it performs great in the ground.  They got away from the ribbed design by using a sole (like a shoe) design as a base bottom support.   It's actually more rigid than it looks.

Due to how much time has passed since I had this 12" coil in my hands I suspect they have designed another detector around this coil and are close enough to also market it for their other models.

Anyway...I've been standing around with money in my hand ever since I saw the coil was ready for market.

HH

Mike

• Like 5

Well, I look forward to seeing more on this coil, I know exactly what a new coil can do for a detector, so I'll never dismiss the benefits of a different coil and it's good to see something actually new from First Texas, even if it is just a coil. 

Were the early prototypes no good Mike? Just the way you said you've got a couple of them somewhere lost.. or do you already have a newer better version?

Cipher, the 11x7 is probably deep enough for an 11x7", I replace it with bigger coils as it just doesn't cut it for coins in my area that are quite deep, it either misses them or ID's them as iron when other bigger coils do much better,  and many manufacturers seem to be supplying the 11" round these days as the stock coil which works better for me.  As we know though every size/shape has benefits over others...  they can't please everybody.

I think this new coil looks pretty neat.

• Like 2

Depending on price might get for my new f19. Has the 10”x5” so this would be a  second coil for the open spaces and fields. Will watch for its release

Is there an actual  weight available yet?
it’s a 9” x12”  or 12x12 ?

The stock 11" coil is a throw away IMO. It came on my T2, Gold Bug DP, and F-75 and they all had very poor performance in my test garden compared to aftermarket coils. FT makes some pretty good detectors but they suck at designing coils.

The stock 11" has not changed since the original design. The ears are extremely thin and brittle, and snap off very easily if you don't remember to use the special red washers that come with it. That should have been corrected after the first year of production.

If I were to buy an F-75 today, I would toss the stock coil and get an SEF. Maybe this new coil will be an improvement.

• Like 2

According to the picture of the 12 "DD coil .. I type that this coil has a size somewhere around 8.5" x12 "or 9" x12 "..

The practical depth of detection will be significantly greater than the older 11 "DD coil measuring 7x11" .. because the 9 "wide coil will still be deeper than the 7" width coil ..

I'm talking about practical detection..because in addition to the depth of detection, the 3D depth separation will also improve from the width of the coil ... which will ultimately bring a number of detectable targets ... even on variously mineralized terrain ..

... note that all modern strong and fast detectors excellently separate 3D on 9 "-11" coils ... and therefore these coils are used as standard coils ... also for their depth and separation .. properties ..

The shape of the new Fisher 12 "DD reminds me of a coil of 10x12" SEF ..what I consider a good design ...

IMG_3211.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Depending on price might get for my new f19. Has the 10”x5” so this would be a  second coil for the open spaces and fields. Will watch for its release

Is there an actual  weight available yet?
it’s a 9” x12”  or 12x12 ?

Not clear if this coil would be compatible with the F19 or if there is going to be an F19/G2/GBP version.  I have a G2+, so I too would be interested in knowing.  I also have an F75 but don't plan on buying any more coils for that machine as it now sits in my Museum of Metal Detecting Equipment History.

• Like 3

New coil isn't bad, amazes me now it can unmask objects through flip flops 🙂

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not clear if this coil would be compatible with the F19 or if there is going to be an F19/G2/GBP version. 

At 1:20-1:30 sounds like they’ve got you covered. Sounds like they will probably at least have the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro covered too. I’d hope the BH LRP/Teknetics Liberator too because that’s a good performing machine and was very popular. 

10 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

It looks good, it feels good on the end of the detector and it performs great in the ground.  They got away from the ribbed design by using a sole (like a shoe) design as a base bottom support.   It's actually more rigid than it looks.

I think it looks good overall. I’m more dubious about the wedge shape, but I liked the look of the SEF coils so I can get on with something like this. I’m glad to hear it’s more solid than it looks. That’s one thing that worried me on first sight. 

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Cipher, the 11x7 is probably deep enough for an 11x7", I replace it with bigger coils as it just doesn't cut it for coins in my area that are quite deep, it either misses them or ID's them as iron when other bigger coils do much better

It sounds like I should’ve tried some aftermarket coils before parting with the F75. Having no point of comparison I just assumed it was good enough. I was still fairly green in those days, so coming from prior machines up to that point the F75 was a beast with any coil. If my budget weren’t so tight in the early days I would probably still have an F-75. Back then I had to get rid of one to get another one. These days things are better and I buy anything I think is a super good deal. 

• Like 3

I want to see a comparison of the new 12"dd and Nel's Superfly on a T2se.

• Like 2