I'm hoping, as I have heard, that this coil will be on a new vlf that should surpass their flagship detectors of the F75/T2 .. I'm hoping this is also a water proof machine .. I haven't see one or know of anyone who has .. it is tight lipped, if it is more than just talk .. I have also heard the vlf is due out in 2021, with a multi frequency due out in 2022 .. may be just wishful thinking on my part and that of a few others as this is all second hand info.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

the vlf is due out in 2021, with a multi frequency due out in 2022

If true, that would be a very interesting strategy.

Maybe the two machine are designed to do different things?

Or perhaps the "VLF" machine was already released with the 24K.

I was doing some reading on various forums about First Texas and there was posts around 2013 to 2017 or so saying Dave J was busy working on a new detector and they'll be releasing a new detector soon....  I don't know how long soon is... but that was quite a number of years ago.   I can't remember the exact dates of these posts but it was many years ago. 

So I can't get enthused by rumours about them coming out with a new detector. 

• Like 3

It was probably a couple years ago when I was interesting in testing, I got an email from marketing saying there was a big release imminent, followed by others. Never materialized. 

Even if true, it’s likely to neglect features we’re coming to expect like at home updates, wireless audio, pinpointer integration and so on. In the long run, if the base machine is a game changer in any way none of that will matter to me, but it may to others. I always want the best performing machines in any category, whether it has other limitations or lacks peripheral features won’t hold me back any. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

the 24K is a Garrett machine .. this coil is a First Texas coil

You are correct. 

I mentioned the 24K because I was using Garrett as an example of how a company might release a new VLF machine, but then soon after, release a SMF machine. But that didn't make much sense, so I edited my post, but then it made less sense. 🙄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I was doing some reading on various forums about First Texas and there was posts around 2013 to 2017 or so saying Dave J was busy working on a new detector and they'll be releasing a new detector soon....  I don't know how long soon is... but that was quite a number of years ago.   I can't remember the exact dates of these posts but it was many years ago. 

So I can't get enthused by rumours about them coming out with a new detector. 

How long did it take for the Impulse to go from rumor to being sold to the general public? Was quite some time, wasn't it?

So there's still hope that the rumor you're referring to is still true (I'm being half serious, half flippant).

22 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

How long did it take for the Impulse to go from rumor to being sold to the general public? Was quite some time, wasn't it?

So there's still hope that the rumor you're referring to is still true (I'm being half serious, half flippant).

I’m sure they have some things in the works. I don’t think they were intentionally misleading, I just think marketing had been getting out in front of their skies. I’m sure that part of it is they want to release something that’s going to put them on top. They’ve said as much. That’s going to take some doing when your competition is the likes of such machines as Deus, Equinox etc. and who knows what Nokta is cooking up. I’m sure they have their eye on trying to accomplish something more revolutionary than evolutionary. Still, it would’ve been cool to see machines like the T-2, F75, F70, Liberator stuffed into waterproof housing and one upping machines like the AT Pro and Simplex in the meantime. The lack of responses hasn’t sat well with the forum communities. Any sign of life brings back some hope. Prior to the coil it was the F-Pulse/Tek-point. That was a big leap forward for that category though. They went from having a strange looking kind of toy pinpointer that maybe got a half inch range and wore its tips out in a month to a very well constructed beast of a pinpointer that’s as good or better than anything else out there, particularly now that TRX is out of the game. That’s probably the kind of leap they want to make in full sized flagship. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Prior to the coil it was the F-Pulse/Tek-point. That was a big leap forward for that category though.

Good point.

If their next metal detector is on par with the F-Pulse (even with its initial hiccups) in relation to the competition, then their next product will be worth waiting for.

What year was it they last released a new detector, and I mean a new detector... not a slight modification of an existing model?   And what detector was it?

The F75 came out in 2007, 14 years ago and not much has changed with it in that time, The T2 came out before that, no idea when and it's had some minor enhancements.... either way, it's old!   These are their "current" flagship coin, relic and jewellery detectors.

Their "current" flagship gold detector the Gold Bug 2 came out in 1995, 27 years ago and has had little change since.  It's first upgrade was a few months ago and that seems to be due to the parts required to make it were no longer in production from the suppliers.

Aside from the Impulse AQ that was more of an acquisition than their own creation.

I don't mean to be negative or rude, but realistically..... how long are people willing to wait before losing hope.  In most parts of the world they only exist as cheap clones as they've been on the market so long they're easy targets to duplicate. 

How about we put this into a bit of perspective......

Back in 1995 when the Gold Bug 2 hit the shelves, this was a flagship TV

566252449_1995TV.thumb.jpg.3297c83cb96dd84f3f2776ad0c8a7ab3.jpg

And this was a very cool phone.

1117807866_1995phone.jpg.048d13dec92cc963a9767c4ba67fe91f.jpg

Wow look, no cords!

And when the F75 came out, TV's were huge with Sony's Flagship TV

1657783671_2007tv.thumb.jpg.b1bac138ad606de1da973a183fd899de.jpg

And phones were really powering ahead, Apple released their first Iphone.

1391691701_2007phone.jpg.20d9b8cc300fa99a7b8b63a53597ee52.jpg

Now that's a big step in phones.  It had a colour screen and a camera!  And some apps and internet connectivity!

Then we skip ahead to now.....

This is a modern TV

1693088447_2021TV.thumb.jpg.703413c85804d869230ac7e4118bcb02.jpg

You can get any size you dream of 🙂

and a modern phone, look at all them cameras!  This phones got as much power as a room full of servers in 1995.

212328972_Iphone2021.jpg.bf70b4df29deeee3c608d4455861ad58.jpg

Technology generally moves forward.... just not at First Texas.

A little more perspective.....

apple-ii-vs-iphone.jpg.279e3880291d6cad194324a981ca2bba.jpg

Yup, that's an early model Iphone.... 😉

So while I wish First Texas the best, it's really hard for me to be enthusiastic about their future unless I become nostalgic about detectors and want to buy a new old model, although I haven't been doing it long enough for that to matter and I did do that when I bought a Gold Bug 2 a year or so ago, I even did a post about buying an Antique detector at the time. 🙂

Yes their detectors are still capable, but imagine if they were innovative and kept improving them, making real new models and developing the technology...  Like TV's and phones have, and some other detector brands.

I would love nothing more than for them to prove me wrong and come out with a killer multi frequency detector with all the latest bells and whistles and blitz the competition!  Even if they stuck with single frequency they could have made a Gold Bug 3 and took the prospecting VLF users by storm by modernizing it, as in really making it modern with wireless audio (that'd be a first for them) and all the other features we expect in a modern detector.  

In my short time detecting I've seen two companies collapse because they were not innovative, I don't want to see a third fall and I'm not a First Texas hater, I own five of their machines, I wouldn't part with any of them.

I feel better after that vent 🙂 Partly because I've been hoping a Gold Bug 3 was in the future, then after 27 years they released the Gold Bug 2.01 and destroyed all hope of that happening.

• Like 3