4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes their detectors are still capable, but imagine if they were innovative and kept improving them, making real new models and developing the technology...  Like TV's and phones have, and some other detector brands.

My thoughts are that if there is not a significant improvement in real in the ground detecting capability, then what is currently available, even if designed in the 1990's suits me well. The market for detectors is minuscule compared to phones and TVs where development costs are covered with a very small part of the costs. I'm not a big feature driven guy, I don't notch targets ... just like a little info on conductive range of target. Beep and dig detectors do that.

Would be nice to see the Impulse Gold come out and see what you think of that going after nuggets.

• Like 1

are we at the point to where the science says this is as far as one can go? .. if so, as it seems, the rest is just bells and whistles .. which I really don't need on a detector .. gps on a metal detector is cool, but it doesn't get you any deeper .. I've been hunting at the depth limits of the T2 and I know in some of these places there is good stuff beyond that range .. but how deep do I really want to be digging in someone's yard? ..if on the other hand, the science is incomplete and there is more than has been discovered and some new tech will bring it foreword, then let's see it .. but it's not just FT that has stalled in this area of gain in detecting, it is every major manufacturer .. and with what real new tech that is being brought out, the gain is very small .. so in my mind, do I really need to spend the big bucks for a detector that only gains me an inch, in some places, if at all?

• Like 1

phrunt and I along with many others on this forum metal detect for the full gamut of targets from almost impossible to see gold nugget flakes, to 10" deep or more coins, to deep ferrous and non-ferrous relics and for jewelry in really thick modern aluminum trash. Some of us have to do this in extremely variable and moderate to high mineralization. Some of us also dig permissions and retrieve targets in public areas with digging restrictions due to drought, etc. where just digging every target would obliterate a yard or park and get us banned forever.

Having a VLF detector that is capable of good target separation and accurate target IDs for its full range of detection within the entire range of target conductivity in moderate to highly mineralized ground/saltwater beach that has plenty of aluminum and/or iron trash is a big challenge for any detector. Single frequency detectors or selectable single frequency detectors (even the Equinox in single frequency) will struggle within those types of hunting environments especially on deeper targets. 

Having the necessary "bells and whistles" to deal with what I am describing sure makes detecting in those areas a lot more productive and fun. The Vanquish models can do some of that type of detecting if trash is not too thick. So can the Whites DFX/V3i/VX3, and Minelab BBS, FBS and FBS2 detectors if the mineralization is only moderate or less and iron and/or aluminum targets are not really densely packed.  The Equinox in multi frequency can handle all of these situations pretty well. Having internal wireless operation, rechargeable and replaceable lithium batteries, a good multiple setting lighted display, some waterproofing of the control box (very debatable with the Equinox track record), customer downloadable software updates and plenty of settings to handle just about any situation are a real plus for me anyway.

I would be totally supportive of even one detector from FTP that could come close to having the ability to handle all of those situations and with those features. Kudos to Garrett for bringing out the APEX which is capable of handling some of them and has many very up to date "bells and whistles" and to Nokta Makro for their upcoming release of a hopefully up to date, feature rich, 21st century SMF.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

how long are people willing to wait before losing hope.

I'm not waiting on FTP to produce any new, groundbreaking detector. But Cipher made a great point about the F-Pulse, which is a pinpointer I love using and has replaced my Carrot as my primary pinpointer. 

So I'm hoping that FTP will produce something nicer and newer. Until then, I've got my AT Max which will take a while to outgrow...assuming I ever do. And if I do, there's the Equinox 600/800 to look at. Although by that point, the "Equinox 1000" will probably have been out for a year or two....and perhaps Garrett will have released the "AT Apex," too.

Fisher does have a soft spot for me, as the F2 was my first detector and was a very sentimental gift. So if the F70 or F75+/SE/Ltd gets released in a weatherproof form factor (yet all other features remain the same), I'd probably be willing to move over to those detectors...maybe. Depends on how well I'm doing with my AT Max.

16 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I wish I weren't the only person at FTP reading this thread.

You know, the fact that you're saying that is very telling.

I would imagine all of the major metal detecting companies would monitor the major hobby message boards to see what people are saying about them. Sure, it's not going to be a perfect representation of their customer-base, but it'll at least give some insight, especially among the more hardcore customers and hobbyists.

24 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I wish I weren't the only person at FTP reading this thread.

Print it and stick in anonymously up on the wall in the lunch room or slip it under the king kahunas door 😉

A lot of what they could have done to the F75/T2 was done to the Simplex.  Nokta have done a great job of taking old technology and modernizing it with their detectors, they've started a rather successful detecting business by doing just that, all those sales could have been First Texas sales.  I even consider my Simplex a modern T2.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but it seems that most metal detector personnel, if they pay attention to customers/potential customers at all these days, it is on social media fan pages. If you look at their social media, by and large they are not getting the feedback they would be here. They are getting posts that tell them how great they are, but few people if any pop up to offer criticism. When they do it is not very constructive. It is usually rude, belligerent, inarticulate and easily waved off as a disgruntled exception to the rule. Not only that, but the keepers of the gate will jump all over you on their behalf. Whites also went down this road. The idea that they were becoming an outdated brand was a forum perception that didn’t align with their social media feedback where a lot of people are of the opinion that if it doesn’t have a big battery pack under the arm it’s not powerful, and other misnomers. 

• Like 3

Nokta Makro seems to be the only one to watch the forums as to what people are saying.

25 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Nokta Makro seems to be the only one to watch the forums as to what people are saying.

And it is paying off big time. I often wonder what other companies attribute this to, if not customer feedback/requests.