And Nokta Makro asked us what we would like to see in there new mf detector. I'm looking forward to this one, and Garrett's, and hopefully FT. 

I don't know of any other detector manufacturer to ask this.

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

In most parts of the world they only exist as cheap clones as they've been on the market so long they're easy targets to duplicate.

Good post overall, but this is an especially salient point. The clones and imitations are growing and thriving despite the vigilance. Until I really combed through YouTube and other places, I didn’t realize how much. 

Just now, ☠ Cipher said:

Good post overall, but this is an especially salient point. The clones and imitations are growing and thriving despite the vigilance. Until I really combed through YouTube and other places, I didn’t realize how much. 

Yes, I am 100% confident more clones are sold worldwide than the real thing by a significant margin. Sellers have 9999+ units in stock of fakes, name one dealer of the genuine article that holds those numbers? 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

Nokta Makro seems to be the only one to watch the forums as to what people are saying.

I know a year or two ago, I believe it was Garrett that posted a survey on one of the major metal detecting message boards asking for feedback about a new product.

That's not the same as monitoring what people are saying about you online, but given Garrett's online marketing abilities, I'd imagine they're doing just that.

37 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes, I am 100% confident more clones are sold worldwide than the real thing by a significant margin. Sellers have 9999+ units in stock of fakes, name one dealer of the genuine article that holds those numbers? 🙂

Yes, and the older the design, and the more simple, the more likely a target. Take the fake CTX-3030s. Most of these are not actually 3030 clones, but 3030 housing with a G2+ guts. G2+ and T2 are a favorite target along with the older aces and Garrett style coils. 

• Like 2

Speaking of "clones," do you think some of these sellers are selling anything? I just came across an Equinox 800 on Facebook for under $46. It appears to be a listing for a new metal detector.

That's such a low price, I don't know how the seller could make money even if there was a Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack or Hazard Frought machine under the hood.

My thought is that they take your money, but never send anything. Then they hope you either let it go or get reimbursed by the Facebook Marketplace buyer protection policy.

2 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Speaking of "clones," do you think some of these sellers are selling anything? I just came across an Equinox 800 on Facebook for under $46.

That sounds like something else entirely. I’m sure it is what it sounds like, a big flashing red light. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ScoTTT2 said:

Are we at the point to where the science says this is as far as one can go?

No, but we may well be on the flattening part of the curve.  Over the past 50 years, here are some major accomplishments (my WAG on the dates):

MId-70's -- practical development of VLF and their associated ground cancelling properties; development of disrcimination capabilities.

Early 80's(?) -- taking advantage of Pulse Induction principles (known for a many years previously) and making workable detectors employing them.

Late 80's, early 90's -- adding ground balancing to the Pulse Induction detection realm, opening even more opportunities for native gold detecting.

Early-Mid 90's -- using multiple frequencies to investigate a single target (I don't know if these were the simultaneous multifrequency methods we see today, but they were certainly the intro to that).

~2010(?) -- introduction of Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT) technology.

I would call these five occurrences 'revolutionary'.  Are we in store for another revolution in electronics?  Certainly there is room for a revolution in signal processing (e.g. Artificial Intelligence enhancement).  IMO the biggest challenge in the coin-and-relic space is target separation/unmasking.  That's not a new challenge, and progress has been made, but I hope there is still something out there that will make a bigger leap that we've seen so far.  There are certainly impedements in nature (what you call 'science') that can't be overcome; I just don't think we're there yet.

• Like 3

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any idea if this coil is ever going to be released... I looked on their website in their text list of coils available and it's not there so I moseyed on over to their NEW latest Interactive catalog on the website from 2016 and it wasn't there either.

Don't tell me it's going to be like the Impulse AQ and take years to get a coil to market after advertising it some time ago.  I guess I should just move on to greener pastures, I was hoping to get one but I guess with all the new multi frequency detectors on the market now from various brands what's the point trying to revive an old beast with another coil.

• Like 2