So glad to see some great stuff! And hunting with GB must have been fun.

I see you got a naval button and something that looks like a medal.

Outstanding haul!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a great hunt and will wait to see what GB found to congratulate him.

I may poke fun at GB from time to time, but respect his knowledge for helping my grandfather when he needed it.

He literally went out of his way to help him, and for that I thank him for his time.

Looks like a nice round of everything that you pulled out of the ground, and the ring must have felt good when you found it.

Good luck on your next hunt, and since you were with GB check your pockets and see if you still have your zincolns in there as you know he likes them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Great. Relics, coins, silver and gold...and spending time with a friend and hunt together. That really is amazing.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

• Like 3

Not bad :)

• Haha 2

I love my tesoros.  You can’t beat the simplicity of a compadre or a mojave.  Do you just set your disc low and dig it all (that’s what it looks like from the pic of your finds). Or do you disc out low conductors.  Or do you “thumb” the disc knob when you get a hit?   

• Like 1

NC, I disc right on the edge of zinc penny, This keeps me from digging to much trash. If I get a real faint signal I'll bump to all metal find it and dig. works pretty well for me. My Compadre really shines in dense nails and metal bits, It's pretty good in aluminum but it can be a pain in the arse digging the tabs you can't disc out.

• Like 1

Breaks I commonly use on my Tejon here. Single disc I would use primary disc at or just below foil if you want to include jewelry. Nickels fall exactly at the nickel mark between the lines so that would be the minimum for me for coin shooting.

I run my 2nd disc in old areas (top right knob) just above the 2nd nickel line so it includes flying eagles, trimes and half dimes. So with that being said if you want to skip the nickels including buffalos and v's then set just above as I have on the 2nd disc so you don't lose the small silver.

Regular coin shooting I may up the primary disc to just below the first nickel line and 2nd disc past the tab mark and break on degraded zincoln.

Coins on edge or mixed with iron with a concentric coil may break lower so I tend to run my breaks lower and rely on the audio to tell me what to dig and not to dig.

With sensitivity at max and machine still stable (not chatty on swing) I may get tripped up on deep coal bits, foil and small aluminum as it will sound like gold. Larger pieces of can slaw and bigger tabs is easy to use your ears.

JPEG image.jpeg

• Like 3

Got home last night and spent today trying to catch up with what I've missed here at home while gone (8 days).  I'll confirm that it was great fun detecting with DoD.  He was generous in taking me to one of his productive sites, and then buying my lunch!  But the best part was our discussion on different detectors, different site conditions, etc.  I have new found respect for his Compadre and more incentive to learn my Tesoro Vaquero.

I'll post this weekend my finds in both the NW Massachusetts Colonial site I detected as well as my finds (more modest than dog's) when detecting with him in SE Pennsylvania.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By aerospace guy
      Stev H can move this if it doesn't belong here! That weekend there R no less than 4 outings for gold prospectors!
      OC49ers(as "guests") of LDMA,
      Taft Club,
      Pat Keene's group
      and where I'll be at Rocky Road (160 acre claim) for Antelope Valley Treasure Club chili cook out.
      One viewer mentioned he was interested in going out and that he had also joined Taft but had not yet gone on an outing with them. You may look these clubs up and contact them for   directions or I can also direct you as I have been out with all of them. This nugget was found on a OC49er claim this year with an EQ800. I will be going back there another time as I am committed to the AV club outing for that weekend. 

• By GB_Amateur
      Through most of 2020 I detected a large park which had been previously detected but still produced decent old coins for me.  In one post I told of a well used path to a small waterfall which confused and frustrated me.  The path (approx 150-200 m long) is right next to a creek ('stream' for you New Englanders 😉) and it was likely used for watering cattle in the late 19th and early 20th Century. The path was hard packed gravel and crushed stone, occasionl larger pieces of limestone, with soil filled in between all that aggregate.  This path gave thick iron response to the Minelab Equinox and produced almost no coins.  (I do remember one Zincoln -- I would.)  Back then I tried both the 11" stock DD coil and the 6" DD with similar results.  With both coils I recovered shallow (meaning mostly within the first 1" depth) lead bullets as well as brass casings.  Most were 22 cal. but a few were larger and those in particular I was able to date at over 100 years old.  My conclusion is that this path was used by hunters prior to it becoming part of the park.  So in summary, lots of small iron (nails and wire), as many bullets and casings as I cared to recover, but no coins.  And the recovered targets were mostly located in the top 1 inch.
      Some time after my report, kac suggested returning with the Tesoro Vaquero and 8"x9" stock concentric (the only concentric I have for it presently).  He and dogodog recommended setting the threshold to where Zincolns just break up.  I found out from the park caretaker that the path is scheduled to be covered over completely with a boardwalk so if I was ever going to return, I better make it quick.  A week ago I took his advice as well as kac's and doggo's.  But in two hours of hunting with the Vaquero I recovered almost nothing.  One lead bullet somehow snuck past the threshold and I think I got an aluminum can base, but specifically no coins and practically no trash either.
      I had been committed to using concentric coils only and took my Fisher F75 with its tiny 3"x6" concentric as a backup.  Returning the the vehicle I swapped out the detectors and returned for 2 more hours.  I only use silencing discrimination (and silencing masking) when I have no choice so I set the F75 up in Default process, 4H (4 tones with nickel zone joining the high conductor coins in the highest tone).  Low tone is 0-15 which is nominally the entire iron range.  With this detector I decided to dig anything 'interesting', at least at the start.  As was the case in 2020 I immeditately started recovering lead bullets and brass casings, all very shallow as before.  Two more hours and still no coins.  I gave up.
      At the far end of this wooded path there is construction of a new paved path in the open area of the park.  (I've bitched many times before that I hate these backfilling-party upgrades!)  For the last hour of this session I decided to search near that path, also at or close to where I had hunted previously.  All the coins found that day (just two clad dimes and two copper Memorials) were found in that last hour with the F75 and its tiny coil.  Here are the coins I found that day and the next day (described below):

The next morning I returned to search several dirt piles -- the dirt having been removed ("scraped off") so they could backfill the walkway with crushed stone before paving with asphalt.  That 2.5 hour hunt was exclusively with the ML Equinox 800 and 11" coil with my standard park/school coin hunting settings.  The dirt piles produced only a clad dime -- what a disappointment.  For the last hour I just searched part of the park I had hunted previously.  One wheat penny was in the ground up trunk of a recently cut down tree (not surprisingly with damage from the blades of that tool).  The other Wheatie was in along a path I'm pretty sure I had detected previously, but was less than 2" deep and thus sounded like a shallow Zincoln.  (Lesson to self:  Be careful what you mentally reject digging....)
      Oh, what's that other thing?  Near the end of the first day in a dirt pile I got a signal in the nickel zone of the F75 (25-35 on the 0-99 scale) and thought maybe it was in fact a nickel.  Imagine my disappointment  when it turned out to be a 10kt gold child's ring weighing 0.43 g. (still about $10 in gold content at today's price).  That's my first gold jewelry find since December of 2018.  Ignoring the foil and pulltab ranges has its advantages... and its downsides.
      Finally, the non-valuable non-ferrous finds over these two days.

The finds along the 'noisy' path to the waterfall (4 hours of the 7.5 hour total) are the lead bullets and brass casings, the aluminum bracket at far upper left corner, the chrome plated strap clamp (off womens clothing?), and the two items right above it -- one a small cap (but not bottle cap) and the other a small gear, possibly from a clock.  To the right of those, also found along the wooded path, is heavy gauge copper wire wrapped around a fine gauge copper wire -- something electrical I guess.  Everything else was from the rest of the (open) area I hunted over those two days.  The tag with printing is religious and not old.  Note the interesting toy cannon from a WWI(?) playset.  I have no idea what those two embossed mating pieces (pot metal?) to the right of the toy gun are.  That rectangle at the lower left is some kind of nametag, etc., not a buckle.  Lower far right is a thick amber glass jar piece, probably part of a canning jar.  Crown cap is pre-plastic liner era (I seldom find those as they rust away over 50+ years).  Upper left is a decorative knob off of a piece of furniture.  Finally the upper right -- what this was doing in a pile of scrape-off dirt at a park I have no idea.  Here's a picture of a nearly identical piece I found googling:

And some info on the company that made it:

I'd much rather be showing you pictures of early coins, especially silver, and I'm sure you would, too, but the earlybird detectorists got those worms, leaving the decaying insects for me.
    • By ☠ Cipher
      Here’s a look around Detectival Sept. 2021. This is an amazing location and I’m sure we are going to hear about some banner finds this year. 
      btw: can’t tell Minelab is there can ya? Haha

• By Steve Herschbach
      2021 Rye Patch Nugget Shoot
      Date: September 25th 2021 Time: 10am to 3pm 
      A Park Entrance Fee of $5.00 will be collected at the Park Booth.
      The Event itself is Free to all that attend.
      2505 Rye Patch Reservoir Rd
      Lovelock, NV 89419
      Celebrate Nevada’s Mining History
      The Rye Patch State Recreation Area, GPAA of Northern Nevada Reno (Inc.) the American Mining Rights Association (AMRA) the Reno Prospecting & Detecting Club and the Reno Gem & Mineral Society will be hosting a one-day free metal detector hunt. All that attend can take part in a planned metal detector hunt for prizes, see demonstrations and get hands-on instruction, hear knowledgeable speakers, and practice the art of Mining for Gold & Treasure in an ecological sound method. Participants must have their own metal detector, pay the State Parks entrance fee and be ready to have fun. Take the short ride east from Reno on Interstate 80 to Rye Patch State Park. Food available for a $5 or $10-dollar donation at event.
      For More Information Visit:
      GPAA of Northern Nevada Reno http://www.gpaaofnorthernnevadareno.com
      Reno Prospecting and Detecting Club http://renoprospectinganddetecting.com
      Reno Gem & Mineral Society http://renogms.org
      American Mining Rights Association (AMRA)
      Or call one of the following:
      GPAA of Northern Nevada Reno – Marlene at (775) 842-0681
      Reno Prospecting and Detecting - Michael at (316) 200-4115
      Rye Patch State Park: (775) 538-7321
    • By kac
      Pots worn out on my Tejon and I have the info for the ground balance pot but not on the others.
      Threshold and I believe 2nd disc are the same
      Sensitivity, primary disc and VCO/Tone might be the same
      I can't get a good reading on them as they are worn out and still soldered in so any info would be a huge help.
      Thanks
    • By dogodog
      I just purchased a NIB Silver umax today. I started to use my Compadre about 3 weeks ago to cover some hunted out HaHa ground that I've been pounding with the 800. I've become aware that the 800 has a little problem masking out silver targets in areas with a lot of nails. I know some of you will tell me I'm using the wrong settings ect, ect. But after trying all the so called great settings from other users I still came up short and feeling like I missed some good targets. So for shits and giggles I pulled out the lowly 5 3/4'' Compadre and hit a few spots. Well now I saw a dramatic silver increase in some of my nail infested areas. There's a lot to be said for setting your Disc near max and just hunting the BEEP = Silver. A light bulb went off and I almost forgot how great Tesoro machines were at discrimination. So a few days ago I got the bug to find a Silver umax, for better depth. Lucky for me a member gave me a tip on a new one. As soon as I get it I will give it a good run. I think sometimes old school detectors will give the new ones a run for the money. I hope all tesoro fans take their machines for a walk once in a while, You might just have a good time.