Gold Ring And A Few Silvers

So glad to see some great stuff! And hunting with GB must have been fun.

I see you got a naval button and something that looks like a medal.

Outstanding haul!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a great hunt and will wait to see what GB found to congratulate him.

I may poke fun at GB from time to time, but respect his knowledge for helping my grandfather when he needed it.

He literally went out of his way to help him, and for that I thank him for his time.

Looks like a nice round of everything that you pulled out of the ground, and the ring must have felt good when you found it.

Good luck on your next hunt, and since you were with GB check your pockets and see if you still have your zincolns in there as you know he likes them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I love my tesoros.  You can’t beat the simplicity of a compadre or a mojave.  Do you just set your disc low and dig it all (that’s what it looks like from the pic of your finds). Or do you disc out low conductors.  Or do you “thumb” the disc knob when you get a hit?   

• Like 1

NC, I disc right on the edge of zinc penny, This keeps me from digging to much trash. If I get a real faint signal I'll bump to all metal find it and dig. works pretty well for me. My Compadre really shines in dense nails and metal bits, It's pretty good in aluminum but it can be a pain in the arse digging the tabs you can't disc out.

• Like 1

Breaks I commonly use on my Tejon here. Single disc I would use primary disc at or just below foil if you want to include jewelry. Nickels fall exactly at the nickel mark between the lines so that would be the minimum for me for coin shooting.

I run my 2nd disc in old areas (top right knob) just above the 2nd nickel line so it includes flying eagles, trimes and half dimes. So with that being said if you want to skip the nickels including buffalos and v's then set just above as I have on the 2nd disc so you don't lose the small silver.

Regular coin shooting I may up the primary disc to just below the first nickel line and 2nd disc past the tab mark and break on degraded zincoln.

Coins on edge or mixed with iron with a concentric coil may break lower so I tend to run my breaks lower and rely on the audio to tell me what to dig and not to dig.

With sensitivity at max and machine still stable (not chatty on swing) I may get tripped up on deep coal bits, foil and small aluminum as it will sound like gold. Larger pieces of can slaw and bigger tabs is easy to use your ears.

JPEG image.jpeg

• Like 3

Got home last night and spent today trying to catch up with what I've missed here at home while gone (8 days).  I'll confirm that it was great fun detecting with DoD.  He was generous in taking me to one of his productive sites, and then buying my lunch!  But the best part was our discussion on different detectors, different site conditions, etc.  I have new found respect for his Compadre and more incentive to learn my Tesoro Vaquero.

I'll post this weekend my finds in both the NW Massachusetts Colonial site I detected as well as my finds (more modest than dog's) when detecting with him in SE Pennsylvania.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1