Out Detecting For 4 Hours Today

Soaked it in hydrogen peroxide for about an hour to get the date.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Out Detecting For 4 Hours Today.

Nice coin for it's age, so that is a great hunt.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Been using André tools of late to get the dates, never tried peroxide. First thing I do with coins is dish soap and water with a very light toothbrush. It doesn't work too good.

Got good with the tools working on later memorials and Zincolns. 😀

Nice coin! If I only get one thing it's a good day. A great day is 2 or more. If ya don't look ya don't find.

Thanks for posting, the finds have been slow lately. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit.

• Like 2

Dish soap can cause copper/copper alloys to patina. Any kind of scrubbing will scratch the surface not because of the brush bristles directly but because of the dirt that is on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Dish soap can cause copper/copper alloys to patina. Any kind of scrubbing will scratch the surface not because of the brush bristles directly but because of the dirt that is on them.

True, or loss of patina. I never use anything but spray water on silver, maybe a little Wrights if I think it could look better in the display box. Anything newer than 1958 is checked for value and thrown in the "cash in" jar anyway. That's why I go after the date first.

I see so many differing options on coin and relic cleaning I'm never sure what the truth is, from peroxide to olive oil. 🤪 Gotta look for a thread here or start one. Don't want to hijack this thread! 😀

• Like 3

I'm in northern Michigan and it was hot for me. It was 85. The next 2 days will be 90. It's also very humid. After awhile I was looking for shade to hunt under it. If I was alone I would have left earlier because of the heat lol.

I can't imagine living out west. It's unfortunate the drought there going through and loosing a lot of water. A lot of wells drying up. I don't know what's going to happen. I'm very fortunate with lots of water. I'm surrounded by the Great Lakes and inland lakes.

Israel has invented a device that's called Watergen. It pulls water out of the air in a desert. Maybe that could help the West.

• Like 3

Silver and gold usually just a rinse is fine and they don't typically corrode with most detergents. Copper and copper alloys are very reactive to chemicals, many cleaners will react with them causing the patina.

Not so old stuff and relics I will use my tumbler with non abrisive carbon shot along with a jewelry grade tumbling soap. Does a really good job. Very old stuff I may pick at the date with a toothpick to see if is readable but tend to just stuff them in a baggy and someday have them professionally cleaned.

So far I haven't found the secret the "professionals" method of cleaning. Probably something stupid simple they make a lot of $$$ doing.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Out Detecting For 4 Hours Today