How Many On This Forum Have A Garrett 24k, Or Are Getting One In The Future?

6 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Simon, as you know the 24k fitted with the 6" concentric is my favorite "go-to" gold getter. But, now that there will be a wider range of coils for it, we look forward to your detailed and insightful reviews. HH Jim

Thanks Jim, you know how long I've wanted one so I'm pretty happy,  I was so excited I couldn't resist but to buy the 6" Whites concentric coil for it, that was quite difficult to do other than trying to get one off Ebay from the US and hope it arrives with USPS which I haven't had much luck with previously, especially now with Covid.  One previous package went from USA to Australia, back to USA then back to Australia then across to NZ, took months. 🙂 A guy at Lost Treasures in Brisbane, Australia had one left in stock and was willing to ship it to me, I couldn't wait for the Garrett coil to be released.  I'll get it too when it comes out but the Whites will do me in the mean time.   I used to live right near that shop but didn't do metal detecting when I lived in Brisbane, now I live about 7 hours drive to my nearest metal detecting store. 😞

I really like VLF gold detectors and this 24k now with the range of coils it will have seems like it might be what I've always wanted. 

• Like 1

How many  here would purchase  the GMX which is the waterproof version of the 24k? I don't think they could use the AT housing since it only uses 4  batteries.I  have only  taken the GMX  in the water 2 times with the housing  submerged   about a foot and it did not leak.I never had it submerged for more then 30  minutes at a time unlike my AT which I had under  the water for more   then 6 hours at a time many different times.

Yes, I'll end up taking a few videos, I mostly do the videos for myself so I've got memories of certain things, I wish I had videos of my biggest nugget digs but both times I thought they were junk as the target sound was just too good. 🙂

It's hard to get gold found videos with a VLF here though as it's a minefield of shotgun pellets so you end up taking 100 videos to get one gold dig video but I'll give it a shot, I'm thinking I'll take it to a spot that I found some tiny gold with my other detectors that's away from the shooters higher up on a mountainside and has virtually no junk targets at all and see if I can squeak anymore out.  I've gotten myself lost trying to get there before though 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I plan to get the GM 24K, and I'm sure Garrett has done a fine job with this reintroduction, however I personally would like to have the tan version White's brought it out with. I also would like to find the 6" Concentric coil and hope that Garrett offers that or designs a comparable performing Concentric for it. I have no desire for the waterproof model because I'll just be doing all my work on land.

Monte

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Monte said:

I plan to get the GM 24K, and I'm sure Garrett has done a fine job with this reintroduction, however I personally would like to have the tan version White's brought it out with. I also would like to find the 6" Concentric coil and hope that Garrett offers that or designs a comparable performing Concentric for it. I have no desire for the waterproof model because I'll just be doing all my work on land.

Monte

Tan makes  sense in the desert plus with the sun beating down on the coil  I would like the white coil .

I had an early Whites 24K but only kept it a few days, I compared it side by side with my GMT and found it did not seem to offer any advantages over the GMT in the heavy black sand soil it was tested on, except it was much quieter on the noisy ground, but was virtually identical with size and dept detected, what I didn't like was the loss of the the simultaneous readout of magnetic black sand and probability of iron the GMT has, if you use the iron I.D and Sand Readout you can find more non ferrous in black sand by taking into account how high the magnetic sand reading is. I did like the lack of exposed knobs and slightly less weight, the balance on both machines is very good, and the 6x10 coil size is a great all around nugget detector size and is plenty sensitive, about the same on both machines.

I returned the 24K and purchased an Equinox 800, it's just as good on small nuggets if setup right and of course is a great All Around Machine, Too Bad it doesn't have Whites generally great balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Tan makes  sense in the desert plus with the sun beating down on the coil  I would like the white coil .

In my outfit I have my favorites for the different sites I hunt, and when  possible I keep a white-colored coil mounted;

Garrett Apex w/Black 'Ripper' DD

Garrett Apex w/Black Raider' DD

Nokta FORS CoRe w/White [i]'OO DDR[/i] D

Nokta FORS Relic w/White 5" DD

Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/White 6" Concentric

Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/White 6" Concentric

XP [i]ORX[/i] w/White 5X9½ DD

Monte

• Like 1

I have my second GM24K. My first one (Whites) was not very stable on mineralized ground but was extremely sensitive. The new Garrett version is much more stable on mineralized ground and is still extremely sensitive. It will definitely hit smaller gold than any other gold specific single frequency detector that I have used and will also edge out the Equinox 800 on the smallest gold nuggets/pickers/flakes if the ground is not too heavily mineralized. When it is too mineralized for the GM24K I will grab the Equinox 800 for sure. 

I could be totally mistaken, but somehow it seems that Garrett has noticeably lessened the weight on this new GM24K compared to the Whites version. The plastic just seems different other than the color.

I have no use for the GMX and I hope Garrett puts all its resources towards continuing to mass produce and market the GM 24K.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have my second GM24K. My first one (Whites) was not very stable on mineralized ground but was extremely sensitive. The new Garrett version is much more stable on mineralized ground and is still extremely sensitive. It will definitely hit smaller gold than any other gold specific single frequency detector that I have used and will also edge out the Equinox 800 on the smallest gold nuggets/pickers/flakes if the ground is not too heavily mineralized. When it is too mineralized for the GM24K I will grab the Equinox 800 for sure. 

I could be totally mistaken, but somehow it seems that Garrett has noticeably lessened the weight on this new GM24K compared to the Whites version. The plastic just seems different other than the color.

I have no use for the GMX and I hope Garrett puts all its resources towards continuing to mass produce and market the GM 24K.

I agree with you about cranking out the 24 k in big numbers since that is  what most would purchase. I don't think many would get the  GMX.If they had both it would probably be a 100 24k's sold for  every GMX.I could be  Wrong.I  wonder  how many 24k 's Gerry sold compared to the GMX by ratio when both were out  ?

• The title was changed to How Many On This Forum Have A Garrett 24k, Or Are Getting One In The Future?