Learning The Eq800 - Looking For Tips On Jewelry

I will not name any brand. It all depends on where you hunt. My best spot was in water up to my waist. If this is available then you need a detector that has a really good waterproof coil, the heavier the better to stop you fighting against floatation of the coil and identification is secondary as not much junk at that depth. If you are hunting on dry popular areas the the best discrimination is the way to go, depth is secondary in your decision. Hope you have keep this in mind when choosing a detector and of course have lot of luck trying to become King Midas.   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an Equinox you are already set as far as a detector. Almost any decent modern detector will do for jewelry, though if you are into micro jewelry (single post earrings, thin chains) something 12 kHz or higher is better. The lower frequency coin machines are weak on small gold. That said, hunting micro jewelry does not put much weight in the pouch, and is not what most people focus on. Any good machine will hit rings well enough for park detecting. Depth only really matters if you are hunting heavily hit beaches, and then a PI might have to come into play when no targets are left for a VLF.

My favorite jewelry detector still is probably my DFX, because it has a good display for indicating targets with tight target id spreads, as rings will often bang hard on a single target id number, whereas trash aluminum will scatter a bit. But I could use many different detectors and get similar results. The Equinox is certainly capable enough, better than most.

Dry land jewelry detecting may as well be called aluminum detecting. The secret is not the detector, but picking proper locations where jewelry might be lost, and then patiently digging gold range targets. People have opinions on what that means, but in the broad sense you just dig all non-ferrous targets. Aluminum is not actually bad - if you can’t find any, somebody has already cleaned the site out. So it needs to be there, and you need to dig it. Just part of the game.

You might knock out the lowest target id numbers as being small foil, and anything over zinc penny is less likely to be gold jewelry, but is more the coin and silver ring range. If I am cherry picking rings I may block either end a bit, and focus on the middle range. I do pay attention to tight target id numbers when cherry picking, but more often than not, if I have faith in the site, I’ll just dig all non-ferrous.

Best sites are high activity, or where clothes are being changed. Sports fields are great for obvious reasons. Be a people watcher. I visit parks at high activity periods just to watch where the activity is, then come back later when as few people as possible are around. Clive Clynick publishes the best books on jewelry hunting strategies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Learning The Eq800 - Looking For Tips On Jewelry

I would be another vote for the Equinox 800. It's many detectors in one and the best overall detector I've used in my 51+ years of detecting. I've found more gold with it than any other machine I've used. Good Luck!

• Like 2