Perfect Idea ??

OK , I got my EQ800 out and cleaned it today wishing I had a cover to protect the head ….. my mind is ALWAYS thinking and paying attention to detail ( I’m a tool and die guy so you can imagine the struggle sometimes with perfection LOL ) SOO I came up with this , PRESS-N-SEAL cling wrap ! You can apply it like a screen protector and it wouldn’t leave a residue when you take it off and it’s thicker fir dig protection ( I need that bad apparently…… ) and guess what ? I think one application will last a good while and you can probably get hundreds out of a 5$ role …! COOL OR WHAT !! ( my arm is hurting from trying to pat my own back LOL . Pics of the final outcome soon. I’m thinking I’ll just poke a hole for every hole that’s for the  speaker apply it , ( I think just your thumb rolling over it like your taking a finger print impression will work for good clear seal - I’ll find out soon ! Ps I don’t proof read all the time so if something sounds stupid read between the lines . 

2F8BFE20-F5DE-417B-878C-276E65594B09.jpeg

• Like 5

Remember to be careful when using it in the sun and watch it closely as it can overheat with it on there.

Looks nice and hope it works well for you.

Happy hunting.

• Like 2

As Valens Legacy wrote, if you are out in the sun and the screen starts to fade or becomes hard to read the machine is overheating. Happened to me using a commercial cover. It is very likely that what you are proposing will do this.20210610_134157.thumb.jpg.38bd28269ce49220e2fddbb0a3bb2a58.jpg

I put one of the Detecting Innovations stickers over the keypad and a bumper around the box, that's it.

20210623_210005.thumb.jpg.49ce6bbc4e9782211337640405256495.jpg

• Like 4

What about the screen protectors they have for tablets?

Been thinking of getting some and laser cut them out so they fit nice around the buttons. Just need some motivation....

• Like 4

Good going Pinger!!,

Yes, definitely worth a try!! I have always had my speaker holes; at a minimum, covered with vinyl decals! (I never use the speaker on detectors)!  No overheating issues with that alone! And no beach sand and water accessing the holes! 

I only ever had one "overheating"?? Issue last summer, on the beach, in the middle of a 3 hour hunt! (🥵👎🥵) It was too much for me, and the detector! But at that time, I had the black nylon cover on it! I have since ditched that in favor of a edge bumper and screen protector decal! And, I refuse to bake myself again in those conditions! Not worth it! (Full disclosure, ML replaced that Pod under warranty, and never told me for sure, what the problem was!)

This is, IMO, a twofold problem with modern detectors!! Modern design is dictating smaller, lighter housings for the brains of the machines! The tolerances are tight, and thermoplastic is a poor substitute for heat dissipation! Now, couple that with, in most cases, a black, or dark color housing, and the results are predictable! 

There are solutions, but they cost more to manufacture, and like the breaking coil tabs, and leak issues that have been reported; are "few" enough for ML, that they are not going to change anything at this time!

The good news is, after the warranty expires for many, the modding and ingenuity of our community will kick in and solve these issues for the people having them!

I already have a few in mind! One is to simply spray paint the case a light,  reflective color, to reflect a percentage of outside radiant heat! Another would be to install an external heat sink to draw heat from inside the case! Not hard to do, for many out there!

Whatever the problems are, and I've said it here many times, as long as ML repairs; and in most cases replaces the parts under warranty, I can live with that! That's not to say that they shouldn't be paying close attention, and work on changing a few design "flaws" with the Nox, but I don't expect to see that, until the next production model!👍👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Another would be to install an external heat sink to draw heat from inside the case! Not hard to do, for many out there!

I think the real challenge would be accomplishing the heat sink while maintaining the Equinox' water proofness.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kac said:

What about the screen protectors they have for tablets?

Been thinking of getting some and laser cut them out so they fit nice around the buttons. Just need some motivation....

The DI sticker covers/protects the buttons without issue if put on correctly which isn't easy. 😀 It does not protect the screen but those protectors ML provides will. The screen is pretty tough itself.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

As Valens Legacy wrote, if you are out in the sun and the screen starts to fade or becomes hard to read the machine is overheating. Happened to me using a commercial cover. It is very likely that what you are proposing will do this.20210610_134157.thumb.jpg.38bd28269ce49220e2fddbb0a3bb2a58.jpg

I put one of the Detecting Innovations stickers over the keypad and a bumper around the box, that's it.

20210623_210005.thumb.jpg.49ce6bbc4e9782211337640405256495.jpg

Pretty sharp looking detector man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1