Perfect Idea ??

Pinger, anything you can do to protect the screen, provided it doesn’t hurt functionality, is a good idea, just based on future resale value alone. Oddly enough it’s something most detectorists seem to look at when deciding if they want to buy a used detector. I confess I’m one of those guys. It’s not that I won’t buy one with scratches on the screen area, but it affects the value in my head and make me itch even after I buy lol. I was able to score a simplex with wireless headphones for half of retail because the previous owner knew he didn’t take care of his screen. If he had, he’d have gotten more for it for sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Pretty sharp looking detector man!

Thanks! I like camo. Probably too much 😀

It's from Steve's Detector Rods, I think I was the first to get one when he came out with them. It's real rigid, light and strong.

I was looking for a cover that wouldn't overheat the unit, especially at the beach. Got the matching DI sticker.

Used to have a DetectEd red belly like Pinger, it was good.

Despite my efforts to allow the unit to shed heat, I've had one time recently where the display started to go after a long hot hunt. Good thing I was pretty much done. I wonder if most heat is dissipated through the front of the unit.

I'm a tool and die guy too (but never professionally, just learned from on-the-job training from several true experts).  I've also done seat-of-the-pants heat sinking (failing in the process) and I'm going to disagree with Joe D. -- that's something for a thermal engineer.  Two suggestions:

1) Never compromise the heat disipation path of any detector.  Even if they don't show you they are unhappy by freaking out, you still may be shortening the life.

2) I (and others here) use computer laptop/pad screen protectors for the display screens of my detectors.  They don't compromise the desired optics and are better at stopping glare than those provided with the Equinoxes, for example.

Your Equinox is waterproof and you have a warranty.  I'd trust those two things if I were you.

• Like 5

Come on GB,

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, while taking a MasterClass on heatsinking!! And, it was uphill, both ways in 10 feet of snow, riding on my Unicorn!!  Isn't that enough these days??  😜🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

As Valens Legacy wrote, if you are out in the sun and the screen starts to fade or becomes hard to read the machine is overheating. Happened to me using a commercial cover. It is very likely that what you are proposing will do this.20210610_134157.thumb.jpg.38bd28269ce49220e2fddbb0a3bb2a58.jpg

I put one of the Detecting Innovations stickers over the keypad and a bumper around the box, that's it.

20210623_210005.thumb.jpg.49ce6bbc4e9782211337640405256495.jpg

I LOVE that outfit man LOVE IT ! I gotta get this stuff done to mine I just scanned over real quick as to get out there ping’n so I’ll talk later but yeah love that camo ! 

An interesting product ... I'm in the U.K, so we don't have the same products/brands you US folks do.
Is this the wrap you are using?
" Glad Press 'n Seal "

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressn-Multi-Purpose-Sealing-70-Foot/dp/B0041UD2RS

You're just pressing it on, I assume, no application of heat needed?

Is it like thick 'saran wrap' ? The interweb tells me it has microscopic bubbles on one face, that trap air, which holds it in place?

I did find this Baco branded product, a continuous roll, but it's seemingly discontinued.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/17088/Baco-Press-n-Seal

From a UK newspaper:

"Sadly it is hard to find in the UK - Lakeland has discontinued it while it is sold out elsewhere."

• Like 1

I coudln't see that effecting the detector and making it overheat unless there were some sort of vents being covered up. That material is so thin it shouldn't act as an insulator.

If they sold the laptop screen protector material in a roll that was cost effective I could zip out a bunch to fit different machines on my laser.

• Like 1

Looks like screen protectors are PET (polyester film) with silicone adhesive so it doesn't react with the plastic surface and damage or leave a residue. Acrylic adhesive would be really bad on the face of the detectors so keep that in mind.

Saw some security film in rolls that apply like the car window tints where you use a little soapy water and squeegie out the bubbles. Anyone know what that adhesive is and it is removable?

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, kac said:

What about the screen protectors they have for tablets?

Been thinking of getting some and laser cut them out so they fit nice around the buttons. Just need some motivation....

That’s what I put on all my detector screens, but just the screen area itself. First thing I do with a new detector these days is apply the screen cover. I have a pack of old Kindle ones that are thicker than most, that I cut to fit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1