Prospector Killed By Plumas Mammoth Grizzly! Viewer Discretion Advised.

Boys, up in the Plumas territory, they consider that a bottle of gold dust. Not sure when they call the color a nugget, but I imagine somewhere around the size of a walnut! Truly a promised land. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, WesD said:

Truly a promised land. 

Been wanting to hunt there my whole life and have never gotten to it. Now I just hope everyone up there is safe and healthy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klunker said:

Your welcome any time....if I can outrun you,

Well I am sure that he can, right after he shoots at the bear, but misses because your leg got in the way. With that said don't turn your back on him when bears are around.

Nice finds and enjoyed the story.

• Like 1

Klunker,  Major compliments on your Poke, and with your tale. 

Of course Plumas County is in Kalifornia, and big fury critters are still known to hunt up there, yet legally we can't "carry" - not even for protection.  Certainly not with a 50Cal Musket.  Today, if that prospector had killed the bear, he would be looking at jail time and stiff fines....  No matter how large or threatening the bear was.

Nowadays a semi-auto pistol packing 20mm Solid Heavy Hard Cast Buffalo Bore bullets would have handled that Super sized Grizzly, assuming you can point it reasonably well, and that prospector would had many more opportunities than just the one round to stop that bear.  What a difference a 170 years makes, and I do love the 50Cal ball - but that musket had no chance without a lot of luck;  it had no velocity (nor penetration) - leaving the prospector having no chances either.

Sorry to digress from what I love - prospecting, but reading your fine story stirs the concerns within me, I just get drawn back to how handicapped we are as prospectors in this state (a state which I dearly love).

I hate the thought of killing anything, yet I also hate the thought of dying for this minor occupation we pursue at great cost and risk.  I am happy you found you patch, but your story just made me think about how exposed we are out there in our pursuits.  We carry all the right gear, but little or no protection, and certainly no 50Cal. Muskets.

Happy hunting, picking and swinging out there to you all.

525561287_Dyno-mini-x15copy.thumb.jpg.03891f041c72d0bf53db2ccad7760117.jpg

Next time, bring a Big friend, like my little buddy here.  Dave

• Like 4

Klunker a fire arm is very hard to get in Aust. Have not seen a rifle or hand guns for over 30 odd years except on law enforcement. 50 Calibre musket balls were very common on the gold fields here. Like dgatleyDP said a large buddy does the trick of keeping your hot spot. Here is FRED and his mates. But they are not for sale.

p1010471.thumb.JPG.9dc096d6c4fcdb5c782a8d049c018493.JPG

p1010913.thumb.JPG.f65360cf71c9a18cc8ccabd6588dcaea.JPG

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

20 hours ago, dgatleyDP said:

hate the thought of killing anything, yet I also hate the thought of dying for this minor occupation we pursue at great cost and risk.  I am happy you found you patch, but your story just made me think about how exposed we are out there in our pursuits.  We carry all the right gear, but little or no protection, and certainly no 50Cal. Muskets.

I always have protection with me when I hunt in the middle of nowhere. A little extra weight on the belt but absolutely worthwhile for a bit more peace of mind. Of course I hope I never ever have to use it. But 15 miles away from any civilization in the middle of nowhere and all alone can be spooky at times, especially when you hike back in the dark. All legal of course and with license.

• Like 4

On 8/30/2021 at 2:41 AM, geof_junk said:

Here is FRED and his mates.

Fred looks like he could be handy for protection but he also looks like he might get into my lunch. I have enough trouble hiding my lunch from Sourdough Scott.

• Haha 4