My New Garrett 24k Initial Impressions And Quick Tests

phrunt

I was finally able to get to one of my favorite prospecting sites today since the torn ligaments in my left foot are well enough to do some mountain goat walking. 

I had the chance to use my Garrett 24K on the same ground that completely choked my former Whites 24K. The Whites version would overload on a sensitivity setting of 2 in this area using the stock 10X6” coil. It was hyper sensitive with tons of coil knock. It also had similar behavior at some other sites………

The new Garrett 24K ran smooth as glass and I had it cranked up to 7 sensitivity with just the faintest coil knock. Sensitivity 6 was very quiet and 8 was doable but with some occasional instability.

Obviously, there was something wrong with my original Whites 24K………..or Garrett really did go over the original Whites design tolerances carefully and tweaked them, especially the stock coil.

Very impressive detector. Thanks Garrett.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I was finally able to get to one of my favorite prospecting sites today since the torn ligaments in my left foot are well enough to do some mountain goat walking. 

Glad to hear your are healing well Jeff,

But don't go "Full Goat" on us yet, and reinjure yourself!!🤣👍👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No gold yet Simon? Thought ya would have shown some Kiwi Yellow by now.... If I ever have to get rid of my 24K, it will be a sad day. Think I might give it a run soon to give my 4500 (and my shoulder) a rest. Did Nel ever announce their snake coil for the 24K??? I dont see it on their website yet. The little 6" ellip DD is a must have for here in Oz. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aureous said:

No gold yet Simon? Thought ya would have shown some Kiwi Yellow by now.... If I ever have to get rid of my 24K, it will be a sad day. Think I might give it a run soon to give my 4500 (and my shoulder) a rest. Did Nel ever announce their snake coil for the 24K??? I dont see it on their website yet. The little 6" ellip DD is a must have for here in Oz. 

yep, I've done a post on some gold finds with it on my first day out with it, found 5 bits I think from memory on an old patch, lost on the forum buried by now I guess 😉  I've found a bit since then too but just haven't done any posts, nothing significant so not worth posting on.

I really like the detector, it's become my primary gold prospecting VLF.  I'm finding both the 10x6" and the Whites 6" Concentric to be very good coils, I hope Garrett makes a concentric for it too.   Nel have said they're going to make 24k coils, they said they'd be out late this year but I've seen in the past when they announce something is coming it always takes longer than they say.  I'd love a Snake coil for it so I hope they follow through with them. 

• Like 3

Yesterday afternoon I went out for 4 hours with the 24K on a spot I'd been recently thrashing with the 4500M (got 21 bits there for 3gm) and found a further 8 teeny bits for .5gm incl a little specie. I hadn't used it for 6-7 months and it was quite fun to get so many small targets which included about 30 bird shot, wire and a un-fired percussion cap. My poor shoulder was thankful for the rest too....my 4500M weighs over 3kg and the teeny weight of the 24K was like it wasn't there at all lol  I'll have to do this more often....

IMG_20211102_112325[1].jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, 中国 张 said:

这款设备,落地中国!!

This device, landed in China! !

I'm glad to hear you have access to it in China now.   It's a very good detector, certainly my favourite single frequency dedicated prospecting VLF, it just works and works well.   It handles hot rocks better than my other prospecting VLFs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...