GPX 6000 Running A 15x10" X-coil

phrunt

12 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Is that one of yours, unchipped?

No, it's in Russia, and it's using the chip from a standard coil, the chip from the standard coil was removed to do this, and they would require an adapter to run.

At some point I'll certainly be using one with these coils, I want small coils for my detecting, this 15x10" is one of my favourite coils though, I like elliptical shaped coils for detecting here with our rocky terrain.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

🤔. A chip and an adapter, not just a chip?

The chip goes into an adapter, maybe I worded it so it doesn't make sense 🙂

Just now, afreakofnature said:

I see, not built in the coil.  So maybe sacrifice a coil for a chip to build an adapter plug.

You could still use the original coil without the chip.  Just some open heart surgery 😉

• Like 4

Hi Phrunt, So is the chip cut from within an original coil & that coil then mended over with the chip being used to make an adapter in a same/similar way as the gpz 7000 X coil adapter that is then on the outside of the coil.  So the chip is going from the inside of the coil to the outside in the form of an inline coil cable adapter & able to be interchanged between ML GPX coils & X coils? I guess the adapter would be at the top end connection going into the control box? Interesting. I am picking that the 15x10 X coil is a mono.

Thank you

Greg.

Just now, dig4gold said:

So the chip is going from the inside of the coil to the outside in the form of an inline coil cable adapter & able to be interchanged between ML GPX coils & X coils?

That's right, the chip is removed from the original coil by surgery 🙂 And then an adapter is made in a similar way to the GPZ X-coil adapter, up near the control box the original coil cable is cut, and the chip is added inline as part of the plug that goes into the detector so the adapter becomes a universal adapter to run the X-coils.  All early days so far but progress for those that want different coils and are willing to do the adjustments necessary.

• Like 5

Thanks. Guess that will ruffle a few feathers just like I noticed the GPZ 7000 X coil adapter did. Was only a matter of time I suppose before the Russians did this for the 6000. Will give the detecting community more options, which is a good thing isn't it?

Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked