My Detecting Trip To Northeast Usa, Part 1 (long)

Great job GB, Thanks also for the story, it paints a great picture. I'm sure the next time out will produce a few more oldies. Sometimes it takes a few trips to nail down the details of an old place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice diverse haul, GB! Looks like you got a big ol' brass "Dandy" button there. Great draped bust and Barber, I still haven't got one of those. Sorry Henri ate up your time.

The pin looks interesting, any stones? They used a paste of sort to create them early on, and it probably doesn't weather well. Looks like one survived.

I've found lots of buckles that were nickel plated, the chrome plated stuff comes along later.

Don't have specific dates for you off hand. Great stuff. 👍

Could your unknown object be a chair or cane tip?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

The pin looks interesting, any stones?

The female property owner and I disagreed on which side of that broach/pin was the display side.  I'm far from expert on jewelry so I don't know who was right.  Her argument for one side (the concave one) is that it showed hollowed out wells where jewels/stones were captured.  Could it have been a piece of jewelry with both sides viewable, depending upon mood of the wearer?

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Could your unknown object be a chair or cane tip?

Hmmm.  Cane tip idea in particular is tantalizing.  That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I said it was copper but actually, brass or bronze are also possibilities.  Bronze would be perfect for a cane (or chair leg) tip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

Did you go interstate 90 by Syracuse?

I took I-80 through most of Pennsylvania and then North, East, North, East to get to NW Mass.  On the way up through Eastern NY I took the Taconic Pkwy but because of Henri's path being close to there, on the way home I went over to Albany and angled SW to Scranton before heading South to DoD country.

• Like 2

The brass Dandy button is mid 1700s to early 1800s. Should appear to have a soldered on shank "alpha" style, if any of it is still there. You have to really clean it to see makers marks if any. If it has a waxy smooth feel when cleaned up it is a Tombac and mostly zinc. That would indicate early to mid 1700s.

These are the kind of things I find in the fields especially right near my house. Love it that you got a shot at the old stuff! I probably skipped a lot of horse shoes out there 😀

• Like 3

Could be a draped bust, they are fairly common here in ma as far as large cents go. Later ones seem to be in much better condition.

Looks like you had a blast!

• Like 2

Nice hunt G_B and I am glad that you had the chance to make it there.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1