My Detecting Trip To Northeast Usa, Part 2

Great trip to visit doggo and again I'm jealous of your Barber. 😡 You've had quite the trip! 👍

• Like 2

Another great hunt for you again, and glad you had some good company to spend the day with.

• Like 3

GB, I had a fantastic time detecting with you, Even know it was pretty hot. It was an honor to host you and spend time with someone who likes the detector talk. I'm glad you found that merc, because I missed it the previous hunt I had there. It was honestly 16 inches from a silver ring I found. As for the dark color of the older silvers in that area, I think it might have to do with the oak tree's and the amount of tannin in the ground. Just a guess. Once again THANKS and I hope we can do it again soon. Oh and next time your spending more than a couple of hours.

• Like 4

Outta likes for today guys,

But GB, I very much appreciate how you, and others here, lay out your stories to share with us! I too hope to one day make my "rounds" for a hunt or three, with some of you "Northerners"!😁  Old coins and stuff are few and far between this far South! Even on the Treasure Coast Beaches, it generally takes a significant weather event to get to the "good" stuff, and even then, there are alot of locals, and others, concentrated in a narrow search area! Not ideal, but goes with the territory! Most I've met are friendly enough!🤬  (just kidding)!!🤣

Looking forward to some more adventures, to be vicariously along for the hunt!!👍👍

• Like 6

GB_Amateur, a good 2-pa report.  Looks like you had some success, but the more I read about a lot of the finds made in NE USA, the more I am thankful for all the old yards and old ghost towns and other early-era places I have enjoyed 'Out West'.   Often I would find more Seated Liberty and early-date Barbers, 2¢, 3¢ and vintage 5¢ coins by percentage of my finds than a lot of what I see made on the Eastern side.  Odds are many places 'Back East' experienced a lot of growth that ruined the opportunity to find good stuff.

As you know, not everyone makes some of those old coin finds in some of our western ghost towns, but when made, they are often definite keepers.  However, access to old private property is often one of the better opportunities we have.  I wish you the best on future trips farther from home ... both to the East and to the West.

Monte

• Like 3

I enjoyed the write ups of your trips.
Congrats on your finds and for meeting up with forum members to share/gain knowledge in the hobby, and to hunt spots you never would have hunted otherwise.  Your hunt reminded me of a virgin site I was invited to detect by a forumite years ago.  The site was a large, private community for Veterans that was built back in the late 40’s era. The site was loaded with oldies...I managed 98 wheat pennies and close to 15 silvers on a 3/4 day hunt there.  It was the only time I hunted the site.

The toning on your merc is quite common on the southwest coast.  I have found a few thousand silver with that exact toning.  I also found quite a few silver that came out of the ground looking as white as a ghost (oxidation), and within seconds of being exposed to oxygen, the coin turns dark purple, then black.  

• Like 3

Great write up, and I love the pulltab towel…what a hoot! Definitely get our share of them on the beaches. Its wonderful that Forum members can visit and host each other on outings…cool!👍

• Like 3