Garrett Rumors?

johnedoe

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Where is it documented that the Apex is using 4 frequencies during MF?

That’s not what I meant to imply. But I see how it was. We know it runs 4 single frequencies. We don’t know what it runs in multi, that’s correct. Could run 2 or it could run 4 for all we know. It just made me think of the V4 and it’s proposed ability to run 4 single or in multi and made me wonder if any part of it came from whites prior to public announcement. As you’ll recall the release of this machine came out of nowhere and surprised us all. If you look at my history I’ve also been very critical of Minelab for their marketing after it was uncovered that they don’t seem to be running what they are implying. 

• Like 3

Got it.  Thanks for clarifying. 

It is interesting to note that before Equinox, you could not chose to run a ML MF machine in single (and ML did not provide that capability on Vanquish).  The upshot is that the Apex is the least expensive multiple selectable single frequency machine on the market beating out the Equinox 600 and all the various Nokta/Macro multiple selectable frequency machines, not to mention XP Orx, Deus, and Tarsacci.  So even without introducing MF on Apex, Garrett broke new ground in the value pricing of a machine that had multiple selectable frequencies.

• Like 3

I remember in the introductory video that Garrett's Design engineer mentioned the Apex MF uses other, additional frequencies besides the 5,10,15&20. Some higher than the 20kHz.

Good comments, Steve, and just how I had been viewing White's for the past couple of decades.  Their XLT was better than the DFX and what followed.  The 6000 Pro Xl, renamed XL Pro, was also a very decent performer, as was the improved MXT Pro.  Those three performed wall, but were overpriced against the competition a decade ago, and that continued to get worse as many competitors brought out smaller-size units at more competitive lower prices.  The Classic ID and IDX pro were also good detectors, but White's would have 'modified' them in-house and provided a more versatile model nd also promote them better, but they didn't.  Their marketing was terrible.

They did have a few good detectors as their headed towards closing the doors, and those were the MX Sport once they fixed all the bugs it had.  Then an even better move by taking that now functional circuitry and putting it in the land-based MX-7 to offer more adjustable features at a more competitive price than their still-offered MXT Pro.  Then they used the MX-7 package and made the 24K just before folding up.  I was pleased to see Garrett bring out the 24K, and I can see them also offering the MX Sport and especially the MX-7.    It would offer some mode and adjustment differences from a comparable priced Apex, just to give consumers a decision option.

I'm sure Garrett is in the game for the long-run, to be sure.  FTP?  You have to wonder.

Monte

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Monte said:

Good comments, Steve, and just how I had been viewing White's for the past couple of decades.  Their XLT was better than the DFX and what followed.  The 6000 Pro Xl, renamed XL Pro, was also a very decent performer, as was the improved MXT Pro.  Those three performed wall, but were overpriced against the competition a decade ago, and that continued to get worse as many competitors brought out smaller-size units at more competitive lower prices.  The Classic ID and IDX pro were also good detectors, but White's would have 'modified' them in-house and provided a more versatile model nd also promote them better, but they didn't.  Their marketing was terrible.

They did have a few good detectors as their headed towards closing the doors, and those were the MX Sport [i][u]once they fixed all the bugs it had[/u][/i].  Then an even better move by taking that now functional circuitry and putting it in the land-based MX-7 to offer more adjustable features at a more competitive price than their still-offered MXT Pro.  Then they used the MX-7 package and made the 24K just before folding up.  I was pleased to see Garrett bring out the 24K, and I can see them also offering the MX Sport and especially the MX-7.    It would offer some mode and adjustment differences from a comparable priced Apex, just to give consumers a decision option.

I'm sure Garrett is in the game for the long-run, to be sure.  FTP?  You have to wonder.

Monte

How good is the   MX-7 and MX sport machines compared to the AT Pro?I heard that they can be really deep with the right coils.The MXT was a huge  success.That would draw in many White followers if they could improve it even more by having 2 companies worth of tech added it and to it and say inspired by Whites and  improved  by Garrett.

• Like 3

I would compare the MX-7 more to the AT Max. The MX-7 is way more feature rich and versatile than the AT Pro. The MX-7/ GM 24K form factor, especially the room inside the control box, has so many possibilities for other platforms too.

I really liked the MX-7 that I owned for awhile aside from it needing a serious recovery speed boost, much better coils and removal of those ridiculous likely target names that would appear at the bottom of its otherwise beautiful display screen which were right for me anyway far less than half the time. Very distracting.

Personally, I am totally done with the big, heavy metal box under the arm detectors, their heavy shaft systems and all of the paraphernalia, harnesses and bungees needed to swing them, whether they were made by Whites, Nokta Makro or Minelab. Time to move on and keep making detectors that are actually comfortable and enjoyable for any teenager or adult to swing instead of giving the user shoulder, back and hip muscle strains or worse.

• Like 5

I think many would expect a big jump in technology like the Apex over previous models to be released as a higher end model, the fact Garrett released it in the Ace arena means there is something special coming.  The Apex was an introduction into what they're working on.   They obviously still have more left in the tank yet and I'm pretty excited about that, I've held off on an Apex knowing there must be a high end model coming and seeing I don't really need it I may as well wait.

The 24k was absolutely the right thing for them to release first, they needed a good prospecting VLF, now they've got one of the best, if not the best.   If all they bought Whites for was to get the 24k then it was worth the investment, we don't know what they paid for Whites but perhaps they paid less for Whites than what the 24k would cost to develop from scratch so it could be possible that's all they bought Whites for, only they will know.  I can't see them releasing any other Whites models, especially the big metal box tank things and to make them into smaller modern detectors would be a waste of time and money, they've got their Apex technology to build on now and for a first attempt they've obviously done a very good job of it. 

I always thought Whites released the 24k a few years too late, if it hit the market before the Monster did I would imagine it would have been the number one selling gold VLF detector and people would see little reason to change to a Monster. 

I would not be at all surprised if the 24k is a much bigger hit for Garrett than it was for Whites, and Nel took notice immediately prepping to make coils for it once it was in Garrett's hands, just like they did the Apex.

One day not allowing aftermarket coil support is going to be a big kick in the butt for Minelab.  If there are two horses in the race, both are running well, the unrestricted one will win. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Monte said:

I can see them also offering the MX Sport and especially the MX-7. 

I only see that happening if they drop their current VLF Ace line and upgrade their AT line...which is very possible.

• Like 1