Garrett Rumors?

johnedoe

I am one of those old guys………..I often see TDI, MXT, DFX, V3i and Vx3 detectors for sale locally and on eBay for really good prices. I see AT series Garretts on the same places with the same great prices. It’s very tempting but………. I have been down that road and don’t plan to go there again. 

The MX7 on the other hand is a really nice detector with tons of features. Give the MX7 some coils that are actually optimized specifically for it, maybe add wireless and I would consider buying Garretts version.

I personally am delighted to see Garrett, Minelab and Nokta Makro along with some smaller detector makers, really moving detector designs forward in value, features and ergonomics.

The Apex is definitely at the top end of the entry level category. Overall I am impressed with everything about it EXCEPT for its Multi Flex SMF technology. I have seen very little advantage in using it as opposed to single frequencies after 30 hours of testing and turf field use. I have yet to use an Apex at a saltwater beach, so Multi Flex might have a big advantage over the Apex single frequencies in that case. 

If Garrett can really improve whatever Multi Flex is so that it really helps in more hunting environments than just saltwater beaches, keep the selectable single frequencies, add some overall depth and waterproof it in something like the sleek APEX package, they will have a winner in my opinion.

• Like 4

Don't worry Jeff, the older I get the older old is, my daughter thinks I'm ancient.  She can't believe cars had tape players in them when I was a kid.  She'd never even seen a tape before until I found one in a cleanup of my garage and was fascinated by it.

Garrett's Apex is the modern look I like in a machine, I hope they stick with that design, especially the larger screen.  My AT Gold and Ace detectors have tiny little screens, it's rather odd that they're that small with so much information on them and if they want to keep the appeal for the older people having a nice big clear screen could only be a positive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Apex is definitely at the top end of the entry level category. Overall I am impressed with everything about it EXCEPT for its Multi Flex SMF technology. I have seen very little advantage in using it as opposed to single frequencies after 30 hours of testing and turf field use.

Yes and no , during my testing I noticed that the Apex can pick up tiny targets like a 0.5g coin that a monofreq machine running at a freq like 8 or 10k will miss , even when the target is set down on the surface . Then the Apex Multiflex has at least the advantage to integrate high freqs which were not available in the previous Ace series ( Ace 100 to 400).

On the other hand I was less impressed by the Apex depth perfos on big coins which are driven by the lower freqs like 5khz. It looks like the Apex Multiflex lower freqs are not as efficient as they are with the ML MultiIQ .  However it is not a pb for me as I am usually more looking for speed/reactivity/iron filtering rather than pure depth perfos. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Yes and no , during my testing I noticed that the Apex can pick up tiny targets like a 0.5g coin that a monofreq machine running at a freq like 8 or 10k will miss , even when the target is set down on the surface . Then the Apex Multiflex has at least the advantage to integrate high freqs which were not available in the previous Ace series ( Ace 100 to 400).

On the other hand I was less impressed by the Apex depth perfos on big coins which are usually driven by the lower freqs like 5khz. Looks like the Apex Multiflex lower freqs are not as efficient as they are with the ML MultiIQ.  However it is not a pb for me as I am more looking for speed/reactivity/iron filtering rather than depth. 

Here is my take on this. I have tested the Apex in MF and 20 kHz on very small gold nuggets that are smaller than .1 gram in mineralized ground. The Apex in MF did not out perform the Apex in 20kHz on this test. In mild ground that would not be an issue. I would  sort of expect that to be the case. In iron mineralized ground, I would expect the Apex in MF to outperform the Apex in 20 kHz on small gold nugget targets. I would also expect  the Apex in MS to outperform the Apex in 20 kHz on tiny gold targets in a saltwater beach scenario.

This situation reminds me of both the V3i and the DFX at least as far as those two detectors really not having an advantage in iron mineralization in Multi frequency versus single frequency. They both had prospecting modes but in multi, they were also very anemic and if the ground was moderate to highly mineralized, ground balancing them was really tough. The MXT out performed them on small nuggets and so did the MX7 in the same ground in my testing. 

So again……I am suspicious about what technology Garrett used for Multi Flex and how much they can improve it for their intermediate and high end detectors.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather they had went with the GMX Sport instead of the 24K.  A Gold detector that's NOT Water-proof doesn't fall along their lines of progress.  As soon as the AT Gold came out the Scorpion was discontinued.

I’d also like to see if they could put the TDI into that same Water-proof package.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, mh9162013 said:

If I recall correctly, the TRX retailed for about $145 or so. Most others (Carrot, Pro-Find 35, F-Pulse), etc. were retailing for $120-$130. Then there's the one from Nokta/Makro which retails for $85 and seems like the best "deal" when it comes to pinpointers.

Retail on the TRX was $159.95.  MAP was $149.95.

• Like 1

I’ve always been a multi-line Dealer.  Whites was my favorite especially when I moved back home to Oregon.  They seemed to care about their dealers and customers.

In an email response I received from Steve Howard a month before they announced they were closing their doors, he said that Ken White still wanted to make Metal Detectors that would last 10 or 20 years.  He also stated that Ken would close his doors before he’d have them made “off shore”.

There may be one element no one here has thought of, buttons, knobs and switches.  I believe that they kept the MXT All Pro and GMT around for those folks that are not Tech Savvy.  When I sold a metal detector and it was between a Menu Driven machine like the VX3 or V3i and the MXT, I’d ask to see the customer’s Cell phone.  If he had a Flip Phone, I’d sell him an MXT.  If it was a Smart Phone, I’d feel more comfortable leading him toward one of the others.

While I loved the ingenuity of the Treasuremaster and Treasure Pro, that left the only simply operated detectors to the Coinmaster and MXT.  On the other hand, all of Garrett’s Ace and AT Series have buttons. Although the Apex is menu Driven, I find it easier to operate than the NoMak’s Simplex+.

As I’ve mentioned before, Whites could have held on a little longer by incorporating as many machines into the Sport Platform as they could.  Repackaging?  Yes!  But who wouldn’t have wanted a submersible V3i?  Their idea for a water-proof TDI was a BIG disappointment as far as I’m concerned.  Maybe if they had someone with a younger mindset in charge of the company, they’d still be around.

I’ve sold more mid-range Metal Detectors than the expensive ones.  That’s what the average working stiff can afford.  So, a Multi-Frequency ACE makes total sense.  Is a MF AT next?

Garrett (and ML) no longer has an entry level PI except the Sea Hunter.  With no GB, I suspect it wouldn’t work too well in the Gold Fields.  I still don’t know why they discontinued the Infinium LS.  I’d buy one if they were still available but I’d JUMP on a water-proof TDI!  As someone has already stated, we’ll just have to wait and see.

One last thing to think about, as far as I know, Metal Detectors are the only electronics still made in the US.

Thanks!

Walt

On 9/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, Bohemia Miner said:

I would rather they had went with the GMX Sport instead of the 24K.  A Gold detector that's NOT Water-proof doesn't fall along their lines of progress.  As soon as the AT Gold came out the Scorpion was discontinued.

I’d also like to see if they could put the TDI into that same Water-proof package.

Almost all nugget detecting takes place in arid regions, and adding weight and cost where there is no need is counterproductive to sales. The old AT series needs to be retired for a better designed waterproof system, and the heavy White’s Sport system would be a step backwards in the regard, not forward. Think more like waterproof Apex.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Think more like waterproof Apex.

That's a brilliant idea!  I like the way you think, Steve!!!

Walt

I think we can now see another product from Whites at Garrett ....it's another good step ..👍

https://garrett.com/accessories/recovery-tools/garrett-razor-relic-shovel  ..

• Like 2