Vancouver Island Gold Claim Project

SeaScene

Fall is arriving on Vancouver Island Canada with cooler weather and some rain.  The forests are increasingly resistant to fire and safe to enter.  Our mining claim is at the 4000-5000 foot level on the side of a heavily forested mountain.   After testing several washes with a long prob we were finding depth to be in the vicinity of 1 m / 3 feet.  I do have an Anfibio Multi which is not suited.  Looking for advice on buying a detector for this depth.  The washes we surmise hold decent cache of placer and we also suspect a small vein is nearby.  So, the washes to be investigated would contain decent sized targets not pickers or flour gold.   I have heard "Minelab GPX 5000 machine with Coiltek 22" DD Goldstalker coil" and "JW Pulse 8x" would be suitable.  I would appreciate your comments.  I also am aware of the Minelab 7000.  Although the price is high and we do not seek overkill or other uses except for this project the 7000 would have to be considered.  Good luck out there and thanks in advance for posting if you do.  

Dig about 80% of that overburden off for as much of the length of those washes as you can manage first and then maybe you'll have a shot at finding something with a detector.

1m of overburden is quite the unrealistic depth to think of finding nuggets beneath, especially when you consider extra depth that crevices and unconformities in the bedrock present.

Digging beforehand will be 100% necessary with that kind of depth unless you discount the bottom of the wash and hunt the banks. Then get what you can afford, learn how to operate it, and if there's gold present, the detector will see it.

Gold ouck!

• Like 7

Thanks Neb.  That is good advice.  I have been using an Anfibio Multi over the years with good success but not for something this deep.  The difficulty with your suggestion is there is simply too many wash trap sites to make that practical.   If nothing can detect that deep even for large target then we will have to find some aspect of your advice that may work for us.  Thanks again.

I would imagine an OKM eXp 6000 should work?  But if a 7000 is too expensive then the OKM is way too much. On the other hand, 20 ounces of gold would pay it off. 
I would defer to others with more experience, as I have never actually used an OKM but their claims on the website and the few reviews do seem impressive. 
Another option is to give me the exact coordinates and I will report back on if there is any gold. 😁

• Haha 1

Sevatras:  Thanks for the post ... got a good laugh there.  Appreciate the replies ...what a knowledge base here!!  I will report back on this project as we move forward.

.....good luck out there

26 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I would imagine an OKM eXp 6000 should work?  But if a 7000 is too expensive then the OKM is way too much. On the other hand, 20 ounces of gold would pay it off. 
I would defer to others with more experience, as I have never actually used an OKM but their claims on the website and the few reviews do seem impressive. 
Another option is to give me the exact coordinates and I will report back on if there is any gold. 😁

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/okm-exp-6000-professional-plus-metal-detector

Yikes!!!   And still there are 30,000 reviews of buyers

I can’t be the first one to think this… but doesn’t that OKM thing seem like the scammiest scam that could ever be scammed up? What is the deal?!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nebulanoodle said:

Dig about 80% of that overburden off for as much of the length of those washes as you can manage first and then maybe you'll have a shot at finding something with a detector.

1m of overburden is quite the unrealistic depth to think of finding nuggets beneath, especially when you consider extra depth that crevices and unconformities in the bedrock present.

Digging beforehand will be 100% necessary with that kind of depth unless you discount the bottom of the wash and hunt the banks. Then get what you can afford, learn how to operate it, and if there's gold present, the detector will see it.

Gold ouck!

I have been thinking of that idea.  Finding the most logically (gravity) wash and removing overburden.  I do have an Anfibio Multi and have been surprised at the depth but perhaps this "Minelab GPX 5000 machine with Coiltek 22" would be the way to go.  Any other recommends appreciated.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nebulanoodle said:

I can’t be the first one to think this… but doesn’t that OKM thing seem like the scammiest scam that could ever be scammed up? What is the deal?!

Buy one and do a review for us 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1