Vancouver Island Gold Claim Project

SeaScene

On 8/31/2021 at 8:10 PM, nebulanoodle said:

Dig about 80% of that overburden off for as much of the length of those washes as you can manage first and then maybe you'll have a shot at finding something with a detector.

1m of overburden is quite the unrealistic depth to think of finding nuggets beneath, especially when you consider extra depth that crevices and unconformities in the bedrock present.

Digging beforehand will be 100% necessary with that kind of depth unless you discount the bottom of the wash and hunt the banks. Then get what you can afford, learn how to operate it, and if there's gold present, the detector will see it.

Gold luck!

nebula noodle is spot on, a meter is too deep for detectors unless you are talking huge gold nuggets, very unlikely. A shovel and a gold pan are better options.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:52 PM, SeaScene said:

"JW Pulse 8x" would be suitable

An old school dive detector, completely unsuitable for gold prospecting.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 7:45 AM, sevastras said:

I would imagine an OKM eXp 6000 should work?  

No, it would not. The GPX 5000 or GPZ 7000 as mentioned in the original post are worth consideration, as is the newer GPX 6000. I’d pass on a 22” coil also, and stick with more useable sizes, 18” or less.

• Like 2

All detectors are of little use at 1m depth unless it is that rare multi-ounce retirement nugget. As previously stated you must remove the overburden. Watch Rob’s video on this forum at;

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16593-part-2-dig-shovel-rake-metal-detecting-for-gold-nuggets-video/#comments

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 5

My suggestion for what it may or may not be worth would be to do what the old timers did. If the depth is only 1 meter then just dig random prospect holes in what you consider the more likely spots until you hit the bedrock. Then wave a detector over the dug out spoils & scan the bed rock. No gold is easy gold & if you cant helicopter a small excavator in to do a bit of the hard graft then you will need to work up a sweat & do it by hand. Either by shovel or how about a post hole borer?

To detect to 1 meter is pretty unrealistic as has been mentioned.

Greg

• Like 4

I am with "dig4gold" The best way to find the best spot is use a hand auger to find if there is any deep runs in your spot. After deciding where to start trenching your way up hill and back filling behind you (need 5 or 6 ft in length first) as you detect the dug ground.  

• Like 2