Say A Prayer For My Neighbors

dogodog

Yesterday was a horrible day for me so I thought. Here in PA we got about 10'' of rain. My basement got about 6'' of water and I was exhausted from the clean up. Today I went to work only to find out that some of my area had had it much,much worse. I'm 53 and this is the worst storm I have ever seen for flood water damage. Our area had every bridge within 50 miles closed off. As of now my county has 3 fatalities and hundreds of damaged houses. Sometimes we take for granted how well things go or think a small problem is a big one. The pictures that I have posted, I hope will explain the complete feeling of losing everything that you have worked so hard for in one night. They are all from a mile stretch of road not far from me. A total of 14 houses were damaged.   I'm not a religious man by any stretch but for a second say a prayer for these people. I can't imagine what this must feel like.

IMG_2398 (1).jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Oh my! 1

Hey dogodog,

Sorry to read this. Ida came here too, my area specifically got two back to back tornado warnings. Luckily it didn't happen. We only got about 2" of rain, and here we haven't had any in about 2 weeks. It's just been hot and humid. Later last night we had a freight train line come through with high winds.

Hope y'all can look at any bright sides that show. 🙂 It never ceases to amuse me how nice the day after a rough one is.

• Like 3

Glad you got through this without major damage, D.; sorry your neighbors got it so bad.  Another bad year for the continental USA with wildfires in the West and flooding in the East.  The peak of hurricane season is just arriving, so it's far from over.

I was surprised how much energy Ida carried for such a long distance.  I heard on Weather Channel that the Gulf Stream added considerable punch to the storm when it got back near ocean (East Coast).  It's bad enough when storms hit sparsely populated areas but when they make it to dense population as Ida did in New Orleans, DC, Baltimore, Philly, NJ, NYC, Connecticut,... the misery and devastation goes up by an order of magnitude.  😪  Parts of Europe have been particularly hard hit this year, too, as has Haiti (hurricane and earthquake).  We're not alone but misery doesn't love company in this case.

• Like 5

Thanks for letting us know!😔🙏, And I'm very happy that your damage was minimal, so that you are available to do your best to assist others that were not as fortunate! 

The dangers that remain hidden in the debris are something to keep on your toes about, as you and the crews assist in the recovery, and rebuilding efforts!! 🥵🐍💉♨️🦠

Be Safe, and Good Luck!🍀🙏👍👍

• Like 3

This storm spread misery across a wide swath of the US.  I feel for your neighbors and for the millions affected from Louisiana to Maine.  I have several acquaintances and friends that were impacted along the path.   I feel lucky to have dodged the bullet just south of DC.  Some twisters touched down on my son's college campus.  I wish all those affected the strength needed to pick up the pieces.  Thanks for letting us know about their plight.

• Like 5

Glad that you were not hit hard from this storm, and many prayers out to those who were.

No matter how much one prepares for a disaster, there are things beyond anyone's control, and that is why we pray. When things look the darkest I know that when I say a prayer someone is listening and helps me through it.

So prayers to those that need them, and now that you are done with your home get back out there with your detector. Or you can lend a hand to someone that just might need it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone is able to recover from their losses. Prayer can be a soothing way of coping with this. Sending prayers and strength their way. I'm guessing most of us feel comfortable in our homes and we generally do not worry about losing everything, unless we live in an area that is in the direct path of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, flooding, etc...  But sometimes it comes knocking at even our door and it gives one a real sense of how quickly our lives can be changed. Those pictures make me wonder how I would feel if my house was one that was lost. Nature is unpredictable and uncompromising. I wish them all well and hope they can rebound. I guess that is why community is so important...so you don't have to go it alone.

• Like 3

Sad story for your neighbors.

Losing all you have in the world is a bitch , I've BTDT more than once and it ain't any fun......         Some of those places looked like the owners might not  have  enough to rebuild either . Hope they can get it back to livable before winter .

• Like 3