Quick Question For Western Australia Guys

IdahoPeg

I’m watching Aussie Gold Hunters right now. With the flies being so bad, all the miners look like they have Tourette’s or a severe twitching disorder, with all the arm flapping and hand waving! Question: why don’t they just wear light netting over their hats and faces? Just curious…I certainly would!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I Prospect Pilbara WA most of winter (not last 2, covid lockdown here).

Flies are real bad say 1 in every 3 years. Black flynets are a must (see better through black, dont get green).

use deet spray as well, because the flies make the back of your hand itch.

cover all cuts/wounds well, so the flies dont blow them.

1ADE4A15-1967-43E0-95EF-DF8689C78D8E.jpeg

15F72935-8823-4782-9C03-4687A1A1A772.jpeg

CB413208-8E43-44B4-B390-AE4E8911007A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 3

Or did what I did many years ago when I first went prospecting……decided to go out in early February and by the time I got to Leonora it was 48C and not a single fly anywhere…..in fact, not a single anything anywhere 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just for fun we used those electrified small bats and feed the flies to the ants. However this had its own problem, the amount  smoke of burning flies and the smell of the smoke, which was matched with the ants coming from everywhere. Tony this was at Leonora too, so the heat of February is only a small discomfort in comparison. 😃 

I think the big problem with the flies for us was we were the only source of moister for them. They tend to get in gangs and lift your eyelid to get it.

• Haha 5
  • Oh my! 1

Geeze ! And I though north of Uptah Camp was bad !

We only have no see ums , "mingies" (might be the same as no see ums but nobody can tell) ,  black flies , various types of mosquitoes , deer flies , horse flies ("green heads")+ moose flies.....in order of size . Oh yeah , tiny deer ticks have become an issue since Lyme Disease started up too ! I've seen vids of a moose so covered in THEM it killed the giant !!!!errrrk

There might be a few I missed.  And the house flies don't count...they only make maggots , not try to suck you dry ! Good thing it freezes over up here or we'd all be lost to the hoards!!!!!!

Net suits , deet 40% ,+ permethrin are the preferred weapons of defense. arrrrrrgh somebody release the Kraken ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3