Quick Question For Western Australia Guys

IdahoPeg

Thanks for all the replies! Damn, you can bet I’d be covered in that horse balm stuff, netting, deet etc etc…..crazy conditions you guys prospect in! 
Yeah, I wondered if the film crew instructed them to remove netting for the footage….they all couldn’t be THAT clueless, could they?? Lol

RedDirtDigger- that is some awesome gold you got there! Someday I’ll have to make it over there to look for something other than the fly-poo I find here😂

Trent- were you on the show? Cool!

Tony- 118 Fahrenheit, wow! Now that is HOT!

Yep, you Aussies are a hearty lot!👍

• Like 1

Well IdahoPeg, we do have some good ones here in the US as well.  Nothing like a bot fly larvae infection to ruin your lunch, especially if you see one on your coworkers’ head with their little snorkel sticking out! Yuck!

• Oh my! 1

GJ

80% deet !  40% works here  , so I bow to the bugs in your neck of the woods. May they never multiply to the point they're in MY neck of the woods !

skuh kiuh kuh kuh

We did an experiment on a canoe trip in the back country WAY up north....

Everybody brought a different brand and % and we all used just one on any day...

The winner was actually only 23% deet  (Deep Woods Off) and we had some bottles that were 100% (Ben's) !?????? 

There is some stuff of legends called "Old Woodsman's" but it repels the women too ! .....wheeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww !

And YES I found out about deet melting plastic with my hammer handle on a house build !

I also found out with my brand new rain gear that ,,,well , dissolved all the rubber lining !

$150 lesson not including the bug juice ..............

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Well IdahoPeg, we do have some good ones here in the US as well.  Nothing like a bot fly larvae infection to ruin your lunch, especially if you see one on your coworkers’ head with their little snorkel sticking out! Yuck!

Great, now I’ll be all freaked out here in the US!😂😧😂

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

Black flynets are a must (see better through black, dont get green).

Probably not an issue with the Oz flies, but the reason most nets are green, is that black attracts mosquitos. In Alaska, never wear black clothing, but stick with light grays, blues, or greens - the colors of the sky and woods. Black or very dark colors make you look like a black bear to a mosquito, and it is amazing to see. A person in black will have their own personal cloud of bugs around them. I tried a black head net once, and ditched it because it created the very condition I was trying to avoid. So don't dress in black, but make sure your buddy does, so the bugs go after them!

If you are in the worst locations in Alaska, 100% deet is the go to but lower concentrations work also, just takes more. Lot's of the fad stuff that comes along is a joke. I rarely apply it to my skin unless there are not that many bugs where I do not need a net, but normally spray all my clothing and hat, and wear gloves and a head net. If flies are out, wear tight wrists and pants cuffs, taping shut if need be, as the flies like to land and crawl up sleeves and pants legs.

The thing I liked about the Oz flies is they do not bite. The small black flies and gnats in Alaska do bite, and they are far worse than mosquitoes for the damage they do, as about 1 in 10 people are allergic to the bites. The bites fester and can last for weeks....

Fly Bites: Symptoms and Treatments

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 4

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Probably not an issue with the Oz flies, but the reason most nets are green, is that black attracts mosquitos. In Alaska, never wear black clothing, but stick with light grays, blues, or greens - the colors of the sky and woods. Black or very dark colors make you look like a black bear to a mosquito, and it is amazing to see. A person in black will have their own personal cloud of bugs around them. I tried a black head net once, and ditched it because it created the very condition I was trying to avoid. So don't dress in black, but make sure your buddy does, so the bugs go after them!

If you are in the worst locations in Alaska, 100% deet is the go to but lower concentrations work also, just takes more. Lot's of the fad stuff that comes along is a joke. I rarely apply it to my skin unless there are not that many bugs where I do not need a net, but normally spray all my clothing and hat, and wear gloves and a head net.

The thing I liked about the Oz flies is they do not bite. The small black flies and gnats in Alaska do bite, and they are far worse than mosquitoes for the damage they do, as about 1 in 10 people are allergic to the bites. The bites fester and can last for weeks....

Fly Bites: Symptoms and Treatments

Good advice for me Steve, as I WILL make it to Alaska in the next couple years I hope! Yikes, those bites remind me of the fire ants in Florida…they also fester and last a couple weeks or so!

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

In Alaska, never wear black clothing, but stick with light grays, blues, or greens - the colors of the sky and woods.

Good advice, Steve. I will get a green one and toss my black net, although I haven't noticed anything unusual with my black one. But then I am also not in Alaska. On a side note, I once had a very unpleasant encounter with what appeared to be African Bees in the Mojave desert. I was detecting next to a mine shaft as all of the sudden a whole swarm of them flew out and were chasing me. Luckily, I was wearing a mosquito net since millions of little gnats were bothering me that day. Otherwise I would have been in real trouble. It must have been really funny from a bystander's vantage point seeing my full speed running away like a rabbit with the GPZ in the hand. But believe me it was not a laughing matter for me....although I would have laughed had I seen it

• Like 4

Wasps the big red one are painful beggars, they don`t lose their sting when they hit you thus sting repeat ably. Nicknamed locally Red Barons for a good reason.

• Like 2

I spent 6 weeks camping in Canada and Alaska in the summer of 1989. It was a great road trip except for the mosquitoes and flat tires. I did master the Canadian salute; the action of slapping them flat on my forehead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6