Is Your Vanquish, Equinox And GPX 6000 Wireless Audio Already Obsolete?

A LOT of my audio gear in the show systems I used every day were all about time based digital processing.

There is a definite audible effect added to the signal with ANY delay.    But you have to hear the original along with the delayed part to really notice .

I know one of my counterparts that did some experiments on latency to clarify what was going on in some of the newer(at the time) system processing . We were able to hear down to ~ a 10ms delay. But we were comparing with the original signal too.

Mentally connecting the motion of a coil to your  perception of the sound in your ears is more complicated.  It's a very subtle thing that you really have to "train your ears" for. (Or just trust it ..) Detectorists have the added feedback of digging and finding to help identify this delay vs actual location of target so that helps a LOT.

My abilities to perceive these type things improved over the years .  I took a course in critical listening early on that helped me be more aware of those little differences..

Chase has probably listened for long enough while thinking about what he was hearing in relation to it that he has developed the skill  ....(believe me Chase , it's a blessing AND a curse) .

Now for the "other thing"    MD Mfg's development engineers (or others ,even phone app coders) are usually under corporate pressure to constantly come up with "improvements" to keep the product replacement cycle in a mandatory profit favorable position (thus keeping their jobs). 

I still have some older digital gear , long ago replaced by "the latest and greatest" that is clearly of superior sound over the new ,,, devices.  Those in the know worship such older devices.  

I see many parallels in the detector markets with these examples (as well as others I have mentioned before , it's a long list actually). And I'm not saying ignore the new stuff but make sure it's actually better before abandoning the old... (something I saw/see many doing with the 6000 eh ? In which case I acknowledge the exception skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh)  hope the new BT "standard" sticks around for longer than the last......  

Like I think it was 350 said above^ , stock up ! if you intend to keep anything working for an extended period of time, more than the next "better idea" JIC.

OR be ready to ride the curve$ of "development"

Sad reality but there it is....making a product better has different definitions it seems...LOL  Remember , a lot of the people making the decisions likely have no experience with the tech they happily profit from. 

Ahhhhh , that said , I think I'll go warm up the (not "old" yet) 800 .....

• Like 2