Alaska Pay To Mine Still Producing - 7.93 Ounce Nugget Found!

That's pretty cool, I can't believe the size bits they were able to get, it looked like he got a 4.6 gram big flat piece just sitting on the surface.

I'm surprised about the mosquito's in Alaska, I thought they were just a tropical thing.  Quite funny he called them the state bird of Alaska 🙂 I haven't seen a mosquito since I left Australia, horrid little things they are although they don't bite me, I must be toxic to them as everyone around me was always attacked and I never got a bite.

I need to mosey on up to Alaska.....

• Like 2

They are terrible all over right now Phrunt, even NY. I wasn’t able to get out a lot this summer because it’s been so wet and muddy. Finally it is beginning to dry out a bit and the weather is cooling, but because of all the moisture the mosquitoes are in thick droves. I couldn’t even stop to dig before they were all over my neck, face and arms. 

Im always tempted to give an Alaska mining claim a go. I’ve even considered dive dredging. There seems to be money to be made for hard workers there. I’ve always been inspired by the accounts and stories of others, like anyone else, but I’ve always been one of those who eventually go for it to. I would just hate to leave my family behind for as long as it would take. My son is still young at 11. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Quite funny he called them the state bird of Alaska

That's a commonly heard joke in Alaska. They have to be experienced to be believed. I am not bothered by them much, having learned how to deal with them long ago. The thing with a head net is that, and I am not joking, they get so thick that you can't breath without inhaling one now and then. So for me a head net was not so much about getting bit, but more to just not suck one into a lung. The bugs can ruin an Alaska experience for those unable to deal with them properly.

alaska-mosquito.jpg

alaska-state-bird.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 2

Wow nice nugget...I remember seeing caribou up to the top of their necks in Bristol bay just to get a break from the mosquitos. 

strick

I’ve been thinking about trying that AKAU, just might have to now! Say, was he using the Equinox 800? Steve, is that what you’d recommend for up there? Thx!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IdahoPeg said:

I’ve been thinking about trying that AKAU, just might have to now! Say, was he using the Equinox 800? Steve, is that what you’d recommend for up there? Thx!

The Equinox is hands down the best tailing pile machine for Alaska. There is little virgin ground in Alaska to detect, as everything is covered in deep tundra until mining excavates it. Tailing piles can be full of trash, and mineralization is generally low in Alaska. If a person can handle the weight, the 15x12 coil is what I would use, both for coverage and depth.

A good PI like a GPX 6000 with 17” mono can also work well in cleaner tailings, but one must be prepared to dig two foot plus holes for all sorts of large junk. In a perfect world, if I was headed to a place in Alaska, I would have a GPX 6000 with 11” and 17” mono, and Equinox with small, med, and large coils. That will allow you to tackle anything encountered, as well as providing for backup should one detector fail for any reason. Start with the GPX, and if deep trash is too prevalent, switch to Equinox. Equinox and small coil for any bedrock encountered.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I went to AKAU in the first group in June '19 and had fun, found gold. We were the largest group they'd ever had- 22 of us, most were friends with our prospecting group of N Idaho. One of our group spoke to me about planning another group trip next year and asked if I'd go. Took both my GB2 and my GM1000. There is lots of areas to detect - several places I want to go back to.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Alaska Pay To Mine Still Producing - 7.93 Ounce Nugget Found!