Nokta/Makro Lightning?

So the website the news come from was likely speaking horse dung about the FBS.  The Apex sure doesn't appear like an FBS detector.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You might want to read palzynskis posts on the Garrett forum

I’m not sure what to make of his posts. They make very strong claims that I’ll have to see some more preferably video evidence for. Then at times he seemed to back up a bit on the XP comparisons and also talks about some teething issues that persist. I’m probably more of the mindset of Jeff and Chase, interest piqued, needing to see more, but what did make me sit up and take notice is your testimony that it performs well in iron and Monte’s post giving it a 7/8. I’m more familiar with you guys. If it does anything better than what I have now I’ll want it, so I’m glad to hear improvements were made while I slept on the Apex. I’ll be giving it a closer look. From my perspective I just saw everybody starting out wanting to like Apex, and then all at once dropping them for the reasons stated. But that’s what I’m here for, information, and when information changes I want to be sure I know and adjust my paradigm. I have nothing against Garrett. I try to buy Something from everyone where I can, but I also want the best of the best, and feel a product must stand on its own merit. In any case, thank you for directing me to the thread. I was looking at XP for my next at bat. Maybe not if things have changed. 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As far as the rest, I warned you guys. :smile: 

I’m not sure what that refers to. If to the article, it was fairly accurate aside from the claim that Garrett is using a variation of FBS  for which I can’t find any source or corroboration for. You did say grain of salt. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Around 3.8-3.9 pounds with battery

3,8 pounds then 1,7kg ... I hope it will be lighter than this because 1,7kg is approx. the weight of the ML Explorer a 20 years old design ...  wait and see

32 minutes ago, palzynski said:

3,8 pounds then 1,7kg ... I hope it will be lighter than this because 1,7kg is approx. the weight of the ML Explorer a 20 years old design ...  wait and see

It does sound a bit heavy compared to others, but those were her words. I tried to provide a link to the video but it said it couldn’t embed. I’m going to try again and maybe it will let me just leave the link itself. The simplex is 2.9 pounds. That would mean the battery pack and whatever else would weigh nearly 1 pound. She could be mistaken too, as she’s answering questions without notes or official specs in front, just off the top of her head. Some questions she was more sure of than others

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I’m not sure what to make of his posts. They make very strong claims that I’ll have to see some more preferably video evidence for. Then at times he seemed to back up a bit on the XP comparisons and also talks about some teething issues that persist. I’m probably more of the mindset of Jeff and Chase, interest piqued, needing to see more, but what did make me sit up and take notice is your testimony that it performs well in iron and Monte’s post giving it a 7/8. ....

Yes it took me a long time to grade the Apex , firstly because of a faulty coil that I had to send back to the garrett after service , second because of a random instability bug  .  Now I have been using it during 30 hours then I understand it better  . It is a good detector and I like it . It is fast and reactive on targets , it is a light detector especially with the ripper coil ( 1.1kg) , simple to use , a turn and go machine .  It matches my European detecting conditions with high iron trash levels then I am happy with it 🙂 . 

It is a polyvalent detector that can do almost everything but cannot beat specialized machines on their terrains like the Deus in ultra high iron trash due to its freq limited to 20khz while the Deus goes up to 50 with the HF coils . It is not as deep as the ML Equinox and Vanquish on clean soils . But for its price the Apex does a good job . The most annoying thing for me with the Apex is some bug? emi? which occurs from time to time , but I have a turnaround , see the garrett forum for more details ...

btw I dont do videos because they require a second person to film , and they require time to be correcly done . I prefer classical posts with pictures ...

More details at the end of the following thread :

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There’s always a risk when trying to engage a forum consistently that I’m going to be inaccurate. I spend more time combing over my words and editing in more context than I care to admit, and even then there’s bound to be something I missed, an interpretation I hadn’t considered, or information I fell out of date on. When that happens there’s no doubt I’m going to hear about it, no matter how big or small. Writing is something I love, but it’s not always the best medium for conveying tone etc. It’s hard to know how people will “hear” the writing. I’m sure it’s not always coming across the way it would sound of I were saying it aloud. In any event, it’s a risk you take. I see what is happening to other forums. The rest are drying up and dying while the admins and moderators double down on their mistakes. I still believe social media is not the best place to get involved, forums are. I’m just trying to do my part to start and participate where I can. 

• Like 5

Yes you are right with videos you can see and hear , and some of them are interesting . But there are so many "marketing" videos that I am not really confident with all of them . For me the best way to seriously evaluate a detector is to spend 20 or 30 hours with it in the field , like I did with the Apex...  

Probably my dealer will ask me to test the new Nokta SMF when it arrives . I will use for it the same procedure as for the previous ones , bed tests and 20+ hours field testing . Wait and see ...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You might want to read palzynskis posts on the Garrett forum.

As far as the rest, I warned you guys. :smile: 

Or you can see and hear for yourself in the Apex Nail Board test I posted in the Metal Detector Advice And Comparison section. It is just one 2D test but I tried to be fair and accurate. However, my video making expertise is below beginner level………

• Like 4