New Steveg Lower Shaft For GPX 6000

steveg has outdone himself again, and produced a "tall man rod" for the GPX 6000, that adds 5" length to the length of the stock rod. At 5'11" I find the stock lower rod to be just long enough, so this will be great for the taller people out there. See The Classifieds If This Link Does Not Work For Latest Ad

lower-rod-minelab-gpx-6000.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the kind words, Steve, and the heads-up on the need for GPX6000 lower rods...

Much appreciated!

Steve

• Like 3

Steveg’s rods are top notch for sure!  The extra length (if not used) may stiffen up the shaft as well.  Steveg have you noticed that it reduces flex?

The flex that some notice with the 6k stock shafts hasn’t bothered me but this might be an easy fix for others.  🤷‍♂️

A thing to keep in mind is the 14DD cable is not as long as the Mono cable so there would be a certain length that you can extend the shafts too when using a longer lower shaft as the 14DD cable would not reach the control box.

From what I was told in regards to the 14DD cable being shorter it appears that was not correct.

• Oh my! 1

• 11 months later...

Probably the biggest issue I can see is the loss of the Rose joint, Minelab put a lot of work into that lower shaft connection to take some of the shock out of small rock touches ect, carbon fibre migrates every little touch and clip right through to the handle this shock/movement can also get into the coil cable and the coil connector potentially creating unwanted noise.

The Rose joint soak’s up a lot of side ways torsional twisting when the front of the coil comes into contact with something immovable, rather than put a big twist into the shaft (which acts like a torsion bar) it soaks up some of that energy like a shock absorber.  The user experience is akin to running a dead dry chain on a push bike when you were a kid then oiling it, the difference was profound, assuming you were ever a BMX bandit as a 10 year old. 😊 

Just my 2cents

JP

43 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I used the steveg rod a lot, mostly on the 17” coil. I could not tell any difference at all operationally, and would not have known I had a different rod on except for the extra reach. A real benefit for taller users.

I wasn't trying to disparage it Steve or criticise your feedback.  With bigger coils like the GPX14 DD and the GPX17 there might be a difference, did you try those at all?