New Steveg Lower Shaft For GPX 6000

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Probably the biggest issue I can see is the loss of the Rose joint, Minelab put a lot of work into that lower shaft connection to take some of the shock out of small rock touches ect, carbon fibre migrates every little touch and clip right through to the handle this shock/movement can also get into the coil cable and the coil connector potentially creating unwanted noise.

The Rose joint soak’s up a lot of side ways torsional twisting when the front of the coil comes into contact with something immovable, rather than put a big twist into the shaft (which acts like a torsion bar) it soaks up some of that energy like a shock absorber.  The user experience is akin to running a dead dry chain on a push bike when you were a kid then oiling it, the difference was profound, assuming you were ever a BMX bandit as a 10 year old. 😊 

Just my 2cents

JP

What is the “rose” joint?  This is new terminology to me.  Thanks!

I’m over 6 foot and haven’t had an real issues with the 6000 but then again I have no issues with the GPZ either, not sure why that is. I have brothers who are taller than me yet my head hits the roof of their cars whereas theres don’t so maybe my longer back has something to do with it.

The rose joint is a special swivel-like rod end design that allows a small amount or degree of movement in the stem end that in combination with the iso rubbers take the shock out of solid hits like large surface rocks and large pebbles. It creates a barrier to the direct connection feeling associated with the very light carbon fibre shafts and also soaks up some of the spring like movements that come from the larger impacts (Lower shaft wobble is reduced with the heavier coils because the Rose joint acts like a shock absorber).

I think it is likely most noticeable in very flat Terrain where the coil is transiting an even sweep from side to side (often at a fast pace for coverage) with no plonking of the coil bottom like you do in hilly terrain, all those micro touches and larger ones in flat areas like WA can migrate to the handle and also the coil cable. 

Anyway its not a BIG deal more a refinement to the experience that can also have some benefits with micro bump cable noise etc. If your a fisherman its very much like the difference between monofilament (being the Rose joint) and Braid, monofilament has stretch and give and braid does not.

JP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1