Nail Board Test Apex Vs Equinox

On 9/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

... There is a bit of EMI and the APEX does have a bit of iron falsing on some of the nail heads. .

... The Equinox also had some iron falsing on some of the nail heads.

I just watch your videos they are interesting ...  I think that what you notice about the falsing is important ; the Apex emits false signals in the mid tones from time to time on the ferrous ( nails head )  . The pb is that these signals sound very clean as if it they were good target signals .

In the field with high iron trash I have noticed during my testing that it is exactly the same , quite frequent false signals that need a second sweep where they most often disappear .  I have not this behaviour with a Deus which is almost silent between good targets.  Same thing with a Teknetics T2 / FA mode which even more impressive than the Deus in nail beds , very impressive ..

The Equinox has also a similar falsing in the irons , but with high pitched signals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

I just watch your videos they are interesting ...  I think that what you notice about the falsing is important ; the Apex emits false signals in the mid tones from time to time on the ferrous ( nails head )  . The pb is that these signals sound very clean as if it they were good target signals .

In the field with high iron trash I have noticed during my testing that it is exactly the same , quite frequent false signals that need a second sweep where they most often disappear .  I have not this behaviour with a Deus which is almost silent between good targets.  Same thing with a Teknetics T2 / FA mode which even more impressive than the Deus in nail beds , very impressive ..

The Equinox has also a similar falsing in the irons , but with high pitched signals.

Yes, the low/medium and medium tone falsing with the APEX along with the 90% silver dime also having low/medium and medium tones instead of its normal high tone due to the iron nails dragging down the silver dime's target audio response and ID numbers would create some confusion for me too. I wish the dime's IDs were not lowered so much but this is an ACE upper entry level detector. I also wish that the number of tones and their pitch were selectable like the Deus and Equinox where I can use just 2 tones like I did for the Equinox nail board video: ferrous and non-ferrous and also adjust their pitches so that it is easier to hear the difference, but again, the APEX is an entry level detector. Garrett needs to save these advanced features for its higher end detectors. 

I do really wish the APEX relic mode was just 2 tones like the Simplex Field mode.......very low iron and very high non-ferrous with the tone break at 25 or so. It would make the APEX an even better relic hunter and saltwater beach detector.

• Like 4

Great test. Everyone had good comments so none from me on that. Good job Jeff.

I noticed the Apex was falsing just sitting idle. Mine runs very quiet so not sure if your emi is doing that or if there might be something else.  I suspect it is emi as your Nox was doing the same.

Do hope Garrett comes out with a small concentric for the Apex. That will do incredibly well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kac said:

Great test. Everyone had good comments so none from me on that. Good job Jeff.

I noticed the Apex was falsing just sitting idle. Mine runs very quiet so not sure if your emi is doing that or if there might be something else.  I suspect it is emi as your Nox was doing the same.

Do hope Garrett comes out with a small concentric for the Apex. That will do incredibly well.

Yes EMI is always an issue here in the Denver area from electric lines, Wifi, public safety, commercial and military air comms traffic not to mention just being at 5,500 feet altitude. Even some of the private and municipal sprinkler systems are wireless and create EMI.

• Like 1