Sounds like a great time hunting! 😎

The past few hunts for me have been all clad. But I've thoroughly enjoyed the time spent metal detecting.

My thought is that as long as I'm not skunked (skunked = failed to find at least one coin or really cool relic), I've "succeeded." So once I find that first coin (even if it's a Zincoln), the rest of my hunt is "playing with the house's money." 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The coins just kept coming today, the only relic I dug was a small Zippo lighter. This landowner has been very generous, I literally have hundreds of acres to search. Of course most of it is covered with corn or too much jungle. The only house I haven't asked him to let me hunt is his own. 😀

The farmhouse produced 5 silver coins, hopefully there will be more when I can get to the rest of it. 🤞

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TexHunter said:

I think you might want to double check the button. That's definitely before WWI issue...

You're right! It would have the stars in a circle above the eagle. This must be an Indian wars button... Thanks!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Raphis said:

I sure wish I can see days in the 70’s soon!  Temps hit 100 today here in So Cal🔥. What size coil are you using on your Nox?  

The Indian Wars Eagle button is a cool find! 👍🏼

Thanks! I'm using the Coiltek 10x5. I really like that coil, it's much easier to ground balance than the 11". Feels like using a knife instead of a pick. 😀 

I believe the button is related to the house I don't have permission to hunt yet. It's really old.

• Like 1

House looks younger than the 60's, maybe 70's? Bet the land it is on was farmed so probably good mix of newer top soil piled on. If the trash or target density isn't too high then you may want to toss the bigger coil on and listen for any faint deeper targets. Most top soil is added is 6" or so. Often just enough to put the smaller coil at a disadvantage.

Then again the 12" mark there could be just nothing either.

I hunt an area here that was built in 1870's, hunted hell since the detector was invented and there is 12" of top soil added. There is deep stuff there but very very hard to get to or hear. Lots of iron bits don't help Managed to squeak out a thin gold ring in the hard pack and a v nickel. Makes for challenging hunting especially when there is lots of top targets to try to hear past.

One of the first things I do is try to see how deep the clay line is to get an idea what I am in for in a new area.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

You sure are "detecting" some good permissions  !

Thanks RVP, there are literally hundreds to thousands of these old houses within a 50 mile radius. Many are unoccupied and it is often difficult to find the owner, but I use OnX Hunt to get the info. There were about 10 farm houses here as far back as easily accessible history goes, and only 3 are still standing. One is still in use. Everywhere I currently hunt is within a mile of me.

I am one lucky dog. 😀