Garrett Gti-2500

☠ Cipher

Garrett often takes a bit of criticism for having the GTI-2500 in its lineup after so many years, particularly at the top, but I have a short list of detectors I still want to own before I consider myself satisfied that I’ve got all my bases covered. This is one of them and I’ll tell you why. It’s not so much because of what it is as a standalone hobby detector, though there may be some uses there as well. I’m looking at it because it appears to be the best option as an affordable two-box detector for larger, deeper objects and voids for which I have no unit so far. There are many people who don’t realize it’s convertible. Not only that, it seems to be the only affordable two-box detector with a disc circuit. The competition in its class doesn’t have that. My questions are, does anyone own one? Does the disc carry over to the two box setup? Even if the disc is not especially useful for that application it still seems the best option for the money. I realize most people who buy two boxes for treasure hunting don’t usually end up using them or using them long, but for my area, I’m looking for a keeper with many key spots in mind. 

8CD14759-0F8F-4767-BA47-9D603A150240.jpeg.3df604e1ecacd411917da93aa8cbd135.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve never tried the GTI with or without the two box option, but it is intriguing. A little Google work reveals it only works in all metal mode with the Eagle Eye two box option. Here is a chance to find out about the 2500 for fewer dollars….

https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,181916

• Like 1

I had a GTI2500 a long time ago. I used it once relic hunting with the 12.5 imaging coil, it's the only detector that has ever injured me. It was so heavy that, after a 1 day hunt, my shoulder had a sharp searing pain and I could barely sleep that night. However, at the time (15 yrs ago or more) it was the deepest all-metal mode detector I had ever used. Disc mode, not as impressive. I eventually sold it.

I had, and still have, the 2-box attachment for it. I remember testing it and not being very impressed with it. The best 2-box I've used is the TM-808, which is probably a rarity now that White's has closed. It's one of the few models I think Garrett should strongly consider producing. A better choice for void detection is the Discovery TF900. Good luck finding one of those.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

On 9/10/2021 at 12:48 AM, Geotech said:

I had a GTI2500 a long time ago. I used it once relic hunting with the 12.5 imaging coil, it's the only detector that has ever injured me. It was so heavy that, after a 1 day hunt, my shoulder had a sharp searing pain and I could barely sleep that night.

I bought a new GTI-2500 in 2001, only used the big imaging coil a short while then swopped to the small coil for trashier areas.  A t the end of a two or three  long days I didn't like the weight or balance or performance. 

However, at the time (15 yrs ago or more) it was the deepest all-metal mode detector I had ever used. Disc mode, not as impressive. I eventually sold it.

All Metal mode, as you noted,  worked fine, but the Disc. mode left a lot to be desired.

I had, and still have, the 2-box attachment for it. I remember testing it and not being very impressed with it. The best 2-box I've used is the TM-808, which is probably a rarity now that White's has closed. It's one of the few models I think Garrett should strongly consider producing. A better choice for void detection is the Discovery TF900. Good luck finding one of those.

I never owned a garret model with the 2-Box attachment because I had tried a coupler of them at a dealer's test area and compared them with a couple of others from Fisher and White's.  It's a neat design concept, but the performance wasn't there.  I also favored the TM-808 from White's and had one of those for a while.

Shortly after that few days I didn't have a broken heart when I parted with the GTI-2500.

I agree, I think it would be good for Garrett to make theTM-808 under any label they want, and just discontinue the GTI-2500 and it's 2-box device.

Monte

• Like 2

Wayback when...I had a GTi1500 with the Imaging coil. Had a blast with it. Think it was my first digital type detector with an LCD screen. Finding coins left and right. Eventually gave it to my wife, she loved it.... At that point, picked up a Gti2500. Didn't find it any deeper than the GTi1500 but, like the threshold based all metal mode and the depth it provided. After about two weeks, it had to go. Push buttons were getting stuck, the weight was effecting my elbow and getting tiring to swing. After that, bought a White's MXT. Never looked back at getting a newer Garrett again. Have to admit, over the years had the urge to try another GTi2500, never acted on it. Just too many other brand detectors with better performance and search coil choices, at lower prices.

Had many Garretts up to the ADS7 since the 1970's, really liked them for our hunting locations. The GTi2500 was the last straw.  Would have been nice if they made a smaller Imaging coil. 

• Like 2

I still have my Garett CX II with 3 Crossfire coils & The Bloodhound 2 Box set. Purchased new in 1995. It was a good detector in it's day and will still find treasure. The non motion All Metal has slow auto tune or manual retune. It is pretty deep in good ground. Garrett's newer motion AM on the AT Max is a good bit deeper. I will always keep the CX II for the 2 box. I use it to find dump sites for bottles. It works well, ignoring anything smaller than quart size can range, Yes, it only works off the AM channel with no need to Ground Balance.

• Like 1

I’m glad I posted as I’ve learned a lot more here than I did watching videos. If the two box attachment only has works in all metal mode and disc was that impotent anyway, I’d definitely have to rethink whether this setup holds any particular advantage. I really had no intent on using it as a regular metal detector. If all the above is the case, I’d have to agree that maybe it’s time to retire the 2500 and begin manufacturing the TM-808. I’ll have to keep my eye out for one. They do come up every now and then while I’m scanning everything from eBay to Facebook buy, sell, trade, pages and beyond. Goodwill online used to be a great place to score amazing metal detectors dirt cheap, but too many people caught on and now bid everything up well beyond its value. Every now and then a good deal can be had. There tend to be many older metal detectors as people clean out grand dad’s garage etc. Could one day score an 808 with cave mode. 

• Like 1