Coin And Relic Detecting With The GPX 6000

Steve, great post.  

In-so-far as it relates to the beach :  It's indisputable that the system will knock the pants off of standard discriminators for beach hunting.  Eg.: CTX, Excal, Nox, etc....   For the very same reasons that beach pulse machines are popular :  1) ability in nasty minerals,  2) balls-to-the-walls depth,  3) Ability on dainty fine low conductors.

I see that you do acknowledge that if a beach is riddled with small iron, that .... it can be a problem.  But so too can the same be said with any beach pulse too.  

My question to you is :  Since you're also expanding the potential to "coin & relic", and since there's a way to determine highs vs lows , then :  Do you see an ability to use if for locations where A) someone intends to pass low conductors (like if they're cherry picking for old coins in junky turf), and  B) they , of course, intend to pass iron.  The in that case, once they employed all the tricks outlined here, are the essentially left with no more depth than a standard coin machine would afford them ?

I knew you'd show up on this thread Tom, and am not going in any way try and convince you to use a PI. Just assume it won't and can't work. :smile:

But just so you know, I've never been one to misadjust ground balance settings (except one rare case with the TDI), and I never give up any depth, since I don't do that. I'm getting full PI depth on everything I dig. Go back and read the post again. And all the related threads if you want to know what the deal is. I've about written a book on it now. This applies to tones generated to full PI depth. I'm also making no claims you pass all ferrous, etc. Again, read the post, and the related links, if you actually want to know what I'm relaying to interested people.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that is not a true PI user to do anything, ditch their VLF, whatever. Don't care. I know for sure what I'm doing and the results I can get, and am just sharing those results. But I'm tired of people reading it as an attempt to convince anyone of anything. I do consider that I should just keep my trap shut, as there is zero benefit to me in spreading this stuff around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, says so in the post.

Yes.  I missed that sentence.  My reading comprehension is only in the low 70’s, so I’m not surprised.  :laugh:

But seriously the ability to change settings in the fly with a single button press opens up a number of opportunities wrt target interrogation to compensate for no iron telltale blanking on the GPX 6000 vs. it’s predecessors.

• Like 1

Amen to your above statements, Steve! 👍🏼  You and I have been recent recipients of Toms “post reply protocols”! 🤣 The only way Tom could be convinced to change his current machines is he has to be spanked on a hunt with him! No amount of deep coin or gold nuggets photos will suffice...he has to be spanked/beaten to a pulp in a one on one hunt for him to be “a believer”.  I’m with you on not being at all interested in trying to convince someone to dump their current machines for a different one.  

• Like 3

I own a 4000 and have put 1000's of hours on it. But have also borrowed the 4500 and 5000 from friends on multiple occasions. Never saw the need to get either the 4500 or 5000 because I was never after the small gold in bad ground. That being said I have played with the different timings and noted that certain targets switch from a high tone to a low tones and visa versa.

If I'm relic hunting and there is a lot of small wire/nails I will usually run the salt timing and it will knock most of that stuff out or make it sound broken with a DD coil using iron disc. I've had a lot of relic hunters say they will run enhanced timing in the Virginia soil so that most all the targets (buttons and bullets) they are after sound the same. I would assume they are also losing some depth running that aggressive timing. I will usually run normal of sensitive smooth since that VA soil isn't bad enough to run aggressive timings IMO.

Kind of makes me want to get a 6000 so I can experiment. If it proves that it can be used effectively for relics/beach hunting I just might get one in the future.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Raphis said:

Amen to your above statements, Steve! 👍🏼  You and I have been recent recipients of Toms “post reply protocols”! 🤣 The only way Tom could be convinced to change his current machines is he has to be spanked on a hunt with him! No amount of deep coin or gold nuggets photos will suffice...he has to be spanked/beaten to a pulp in a one on one hunt for him to be “a believer”.  I’m with you on not being at all interested in trying to convince someone to dump their current machines for a different one.  

Raphis,  Ok, sure.   Then... I don't understand :  Since it's no secret that the GPX 6000 can get a dime to 1.5 foot deep, and since, as evidenced here, it can do so while passing iron and low conductors (if one opts), then .... I can't understand why you're not availing yourself of this fabulous depth in the junky parks of So. CA ?  🤔

13 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Raphis,  Ok, sure.   Then... I don't understand :  Since it's no secret that the GPX 6000 can get a dime to 1.5 foot deep, and since, as evidenced here, it can do so while passing iron and low conductors (if one opts), then .... I can't understand why you're not availing yourself of this fabulous depth in the junky parks of So. CA ?  🤔

6k dollars has a lot to do with trying out a GPX 6000 no matter what it does 😄

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

as evidenced here, it can do so while passing iron and low conductors (if one opts)

Honestly Tom, you never make an effort at reading and understanding the info, and just stick to the same tired script. Nobody is saying you can pass on all the iron and low conductors - it's just nonsense straw man arguments, for the sake of arguing.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Honestly Tom, you never make an effort at reading and understanding the info, and just stick to the same tired script. Nobody is saying you can pass on all the iron and low conductors - it's just nonsense straw man arguments, for the sake of arguing.

Ok, I guess I just can't wrap my head around a machine for coins, if/when coin-hunters generally want to pass iron.   I guess it's dependent on the amount of iron a site presents.