Summer Gold

5 hours ago, kac said:

Now if all those class rings had the same year and same school name you may want to look for the bus!

Dude you are just one sick puppy, what makes you think they took a bus.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Flydog said:

Yikes!

If I understood it correctly air in the suit was giving you trouble in regards to swimming, or staying upright, head above water? I could see how that might be a problem but not insurmountable if you were 100%? At that time were you incapacitated from sucking water?

I've only had one near drowning and hopefully no more.

Several factors, stuck in the dead man float position because of the drysuit .....took water in the lungs, about 700 foot out in 5 foot of water, tried to paddy in ... Got tangled up in my tethered gear. Scoop, sifter, detector, 40F water coming in my neck seal thru a bleeder tube. Feet more buoyant and head less, luckily I was able to pull the sifter under my shoulders and head. When paddling in I kept going in circles, tried pushing myself with the scoop.. circles. So the best after 15 minutes, stay calm.. Yell help ever 10 seconds.

Not the first time happened, stepped in one of my holes and had a tumble in close to shore, about 3 feet of water. Was able to spin around and get control.. happens at 1 min 40 seconds. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAnQDeMqWo

I now carry these items all the time. A Coast Guard Beacon and Manual inflate Life jacket.

GH100308_Moment.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

The sea can be the devil himself but she will give up her riches if you play all yer cards right.....(I guess detecting is included  under the dirt fishing category ) .

Good to hear you got a beacon Joe , love your videos ,,,happy hunting you ol' beach pirate .. I wrote a song back in me "pirate" days. Yer welcome to it for your theme.

"All The Gold's For Me ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR" !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, Flydog said:

Swimming with icebergs? Dude, your nuts ; )

LOL ... winter can be the best time to hunt the bay and tributaries. Have broken up the surface freeze with the scoop many times to get to more of a beach. OBN has a full dry suit; I go with chest waders and layers with full length trapper's gauntlets. I have an auto / manual inflate life vest that I feel is just a little cumbersome when in the water so normally don't take it ... but after OBN's experience ... I take it more often. This fall and winter might be my last in the bay ... bought a house near the beach in South Carolina. I pray OBN has some more good bay years in him!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tvr said:

LOL ... winter can be the best time to hunt the bay and tributaries. Have broken up the surface freeze with the scoop many times to get to more of a beach. OBN has a full dry suit; I go with chest waders and layers with full length trapper's gauntlets. I have an auto / manual inflate life vest that I feel is just a little cumbersome when in the water so normally don't take it ... but after OBN's experience ... I take it more often. This fall and winter might be my last in the bay ... bought a house near the beach in South Carolina. I pray OBN has some more good bay years in him!

X-2 Buddy. I'll be thinking of you as I walk out in the 20 degree North winds and into the 40 degree waters. I got to say my setup I was using during the accident was warm as hunting the water in the summer. I'm going to need to figure something out.

Out today, my once a week hunt. We had some strong winds this past week, I was excited about getting out but after 4 hours.. Not much to show. One thing about the bay I've noticed the last 3 years, the best days are the lowtiders, and with natural / normal actions of the bay, seem to be the best for cutting out areas and opening spots for hunting. Hard winds just cover all up .

After 7 solid years of Chesapeake bay hunting you figure I could tell how all things affect this place....:unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think the direction of the wind vs the beach angle has a big effect on making cuts or gaining sand. But the storms are the muscle doin' that work for or against us no doubt !  Cold water never bothered me much............when I was a kid !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I think the direction of the wind vs the beach angle has a big effect on making cuts or gaining sand. But the storms are the muscle doin' that work for or against us no doubt !  Cold water never bothered me much............when I was a kid !

Very true, I have aerial shots of all the beaches I hunt all the way back to 1952, most have the same patterns they did back then.. unless some changes were made or allowed by man.

• Like 1