Coil Scuff Covers For Garrett ATX

From page 27 of the Garrett ATX Owners Manual:

"Coil covers: Use a coil cover to protect the coil from abrasion and damage and prevent false responses that may occur when the coil abruptly impacts a rigid object such as a large rock, etc."

I agree, especially when coils have an MSRP over $500, that you want to protect them. Nugget detecting in particular subjects coils to a lot of abrasion and hard knocks.

post-1-0-13376500-1395675834_thumb.jpg
Standard Garrett ATX Searchcoil
10" x 12" (25 x 31cm) DD Coil
Part Number 2234600.....$529.95

post-1-0-57038800-1395675842_thumb.jpg
Optional Garrett ATX Searchcoil
8" (20cm) Mono Coil
Part Number 2234000.....$529.95
Excellent depth on small targets. Enhanced maneuverability in heavy scrub and tight areas.

post-1-0-25186200-1395675851_thumb.jpg
Optional Garrett ATX Searchcoil
Deepseeker® 15" x 20" (38 x 50cm) Mono Coil
Part Number 2234100.....$599.95
Use for locating larger and more deeply buried objects. Includes surface debris elimination.

Garrett has been playing catch up, as even existing coils like the round 8" mono do not have a scuff cover available yet. Still, Garrett is on it, and at least two coils are now being made for the stock DD coil, a closed and an open scuff cover. Here is a picture of them but I have not been able to find part numbers yet. Hopefully Ken or one of the other dealers can chime in with part numbers and pricing.

post-1-0-72694700-1395676238_thumb.jpg
Scuff covers for Garrett ATX 10" x 12" DD Coil

For those of you without a scuff cover do not be overly concerned. I have been using my ATX full bore without scuff covers and the end result is that the bottoms of the coils are scuffed and lightly abraded. My 8" mono in particular got a hard go of it in Hawaii. The epoxy bottom is tough and it will take a lot of use to have an appreciable effect so I would not worry too much about it from a service aspect. The main concern is when you go to sell the detector, a scuff cover means the coils look closer to new than well used. They are a good investment for that reason alone in maintaining the resale value of the detector.

It appears new units are shipping out with them. Early ones did not; mine had none. I have no idea what Garrett's policy will be for early owners - seems like they should get a free coil cover for being early on the bandwagon. Still no part numbers on Garrett website or anywhere else I have looked so they are out there but not readily available.

Because I thought they didn't come with the coil cover – I didn't find the darn thing inside the front panel of the case until a couple of weeks after I had spent a happy hour plastering gorilla tape all over the bottom of my coil. Sad part is the gorilla tape is a heck of a lot harder to get off that was to get on. Life's tough when you're stupid!