Slow Start To The Year But Things Are Improving

Compass

Great finds!

Is the Tiffany & Co. ring made out of white gold, sterling silver or platinum?

On a possibly related note: what does a platinum ring come up as for most detectors? Same as a silver coin or quarter?

• Like 1

Looks good to me there Compass. That Gerber Ghostrike push knife probably needs a scabbard 😀 finding anything is better than nothing. 👍 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Great finds!

Is the Tiffany & Co. ring made out of white gold, sterling silver or platinum?

On a possibly related note: what does a platinum ring come up as for most detectors? Same as a silver coin or quarter?

Thanks! The Tiffany ring is silver and the 2nd one that I have found of the same design. It was cool because I was pretty sure by the shape it was a Tiffany even in the dark when I found it. I mostly use my pulse detectors at the beach so I don't know what numbers platinum will come up as. Maybe someone here will answer your question - not even sure but guessing platinum is a "low" conductor?

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Looks good to me there Compass. That Gerber Ghostrike push knife probably needs a scabbard 😀 finding anything is better than nothing. 👍 

Thank you 350Plat. Had no idea what kind of knife it was  but you are exactly right on the ID. Cost about $40 with a sheath.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Compass said:

Maybe someone here will answer your question - not even sure but guessing platinum is a "low" conductor?

Unlike pure gold, pure platinum is a relatively strong metal. So it doesn't need to be "diluted" as much as gold to create an alloy suitable for jewelry. Often, platinum in jewelery will be 95% pure. Oh, and platinum is highly conductive...maybe moreso than gold...I think. It's at least in the same ballpark.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Unlike pure gold, pure platinum is a relatively strong metal. So it doesn't need to be "diluted" as much as gold to create an alloy suitable for jewelry. Often, platinum in jewelery will be 95% pure. Oh, and platinum is highly conductive...maybe moreso than gold...I think. It's at least in the same ballpark.

In the world of metal detectors I believe that gold jewelry are considered "low" conductors relative to the better conductors - silver and copper. I believe that I remember this from school as well. A lot of people think that gold is a superior conductor  but its desirability in electronics use is largely due to its decent conductivity and superior corrosion resistance which is why it is prized in marine environments.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

Excellent quality finds there George! Congrats on the summer treasure, hopefully we'll be blessed soon with some fall/winter erosion.

Thanks Dave! Seems like our local beaches are overdue for the epic winter storms that we get every few years or so. Now that I am retired I am ready for them!

• Like 1