A True Tenderfoot In Maryland

Old Line Paul

Greetings!

Last winter, I won a Barska Winbest Pro Edition in a church raffle. I wanted a metal detector when I was a kid, but Santa never came through. Since it’s never too late to have a happy childhood, I looked forward to trying it out.

This spring, my father was losing his battle with cancer. I needed something to get me out of the house and take my mind off the sad situation. So on May 13th I unboxed the detector, plugged in some old iPhone earbuds, and went detecting for the very first time in a local sports field.

It was amazingly therapeutic! The weather was gorgeous and the process of learning to detect was a much-needed mental break. To make things even better, the very first target I dug was a penny! The rest of the hour I dug 9 pieces of trash. I figure the Detector Deities were watching over me that day. Had I found the trash first, I doubt I would have persevered long enough to find the penny.

I’ve now been detecting 17 times in that park. I have never failed to find at least one coin. To date, I have found 8 quarters, 13 dimes, 6 nickels and 52 pennies. My father has since passed away, but I still find it a peaceful, relaxing pastime.

A word about the Winbest. While I have nothing to compare it to, it does a fine job of detecting coins a few inches under turf. It is, however, very flimsy. The wires connected to the batteries, in particular, are just begging to be broken off. We will see which lasts longer: the detector or my enthusiasm for the hobby. 

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum and hobby.

Never used the Winbest here but it reminds me of some of the early Bounty Hunters and in particular similar to my old 505. If your having success with that machine and still have interest there are tons of new machines with all sorts of bells and whistles that add to your enthusiasm. You don't have to break the bank to do really well now.

• Like 5

Hello Paul,

Again, very sorry for your loss!😔🙏

But as has been said many times! "When one door closes, another opens"! And I'm very happy you found us here!!  Steve H. above, owns and runs the forum, so your in good hands!!

And your right, not only is detecting therapeutic, but also addicting; in a great way! 

Be sure to visit often, as we are a very friendly outlet for all kinds of information, on many interesting detecting subjects!! 🙏🍀👍👍

• Like 4

Welcome aboard! If metal detecting looks to be a continuing hobby for you, I'd look into a higher end detector. Having one that is FUN to use rather than one that just "works", or, "gets the job done", can make the hobby much more enjoyable. If you have a local detector dealer, you may want to go and handle a few to get an idea on weight, and other ergonomic features. Most local shops will help you pick the best models for your particular search needs, and can give you a basic tutorial for that model. If you don't have that option, just ask here. We have a lot of experienced detectorists here that can give you some help. Just let us know the areas you plan on searching (parks/schools, relic hunting, salt water beach, gold nuggets, etc,) targets you expect to find (coins, jewelry, relics, nuggets), if you need/want the detector to be waterproof, and your budget. Good Luck and have fun!

• Like 3

Welcome Paul,  

Something good always comes along with the bad if you let it. Detecting may be right up your alley. If you have shot NRA High Power you are a prime candidate to jump off in the weeds with the rest of us on Metal Detectors. If you like history it will be no turning back. What part of Maryland?

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Paul !

Sorry 'bout yer dad .

Detecting is like meditation , you concentrate on only the sound and the rest of the world fades away. OK , when you do find something good , it's more like your birthday than meditation  but then back to the meditation mode but with a big grin !

If those battery wires are to 9volt batteries. I've broken hundreds of them . And fixed many many more for others...Just counting guitar effects pedals , forget all the radios walkies and detectors etc over the years since I was a kid...

VERY easily replaced .  The last time I bought some I think they were ~10 for $5 on Amazon. I can't really remember exactly but mucho cheap ( like my seeeeester 👌)

Get the ones with the fake leather terminal cover  vs. the solid plastic ones They don't break in half like the solid ones always do , and will eventually fail too but last 10 times longer...

Then just cut the clips off the wires and connect the new to the old ,,,solder or even twisting the wires and sealing with Goop then tape em up , will get ya goin' again.   ( red to red and black to black. LOL ) I've even used just a band aid ....and nothin' else. The show must go on >>>>>

A huge amount of info already posted here to investigate and probably a million years of accumulated experience available by just asking a question.

This is what I read first , and I STILL haven't made it through everything. 

PLUS new postings happen all the time 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss.

No matter what detector you have, just learn what it is telling you, and in time you will want to get a better unit.

I say that only because when you get better with it, you will be hooked by the peaceful times that you get out and hunt. Should you progress to the next level try an Vanquish series detector, and then you will be wanting more.

The better you learn a machine, the better you will be at detecting. I dig almost everything even with a great detector, because I know one of these days I will find something good.

If you ever have a question on detecting there are many people here that will do their best to answer your questions. Please post some pictures of your finds and tell us about them sometime.

Good luck and happy hunting.