Everything But Silver

12 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Like your 7 photos but I'm waiting to see the 7th when you have cleaned them like your other 6 photos. 😁

Haha geof,

I have a nice large Round filing cabinet for that stuff that gets emptied weekly. 😀 I could also use the square cabinet (dumpster) the landowner has at the hunt club, it's really handy. Wanted to show what effort it takes sometimes for folks that think this stuff is easy to find. Sure, I could cherry pick, but why swing the coil over the same beer can every day if there's a desirable Zincoln under it? 🤣

When the season changes the hunt club will be full of hunters, and it's back out in the fields for me. 😀

• Haha 3

On 9/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, F350Platinum said:

I haven't found a single silver Roosevelt. Anyone know what the ID would be? 🤬

Should be the same as the Mercs you've found.  Composition, size, weight were the same from 1873 through 1964 (and you can go back to 1853 if you ignore a weight difference of 0.01 g).  Before that they were 2.67 g compared to 2.50 for those most recent 90 years.  I don't know if wear has an effect, but my guess is that it would require a significantly worn (underweight) coin to notice.  I'm talking one where you can hardly recognize the images on the coins.

That IHP tells you what you want to know -- people have been dropping coins there since at least the early 1950's.  Persistence (something you obviously have) hopefully will eek out at least one silver coin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Should be the same as the Mercs you've found.  Composition, size, weight were the same from 1873 through 1964 (and you can go back to 1853 if you ignore a weight difference of 0.01 g).  Before that they were 2.67 g compared to 2.50 for those most recent 90 years.  I don't know if wear has an effect, but my guess is that it would require a significantly worn (underweight) coin to notice.  I'm talking one where you can hardly recognize the images on the coins.

That IHP tells you what you want to know -- people have been dropping coins there since at least the early 1950's.  Persistence (something you obviously have) hopefully will eek out at least one silver coin.

Thanks GB, for the informed answer. 🙂 All my mercs were ~26, so not far off from what Raphis wrote. Funny thing, most memorials and wheats in Park 1 are coming up ~25! Could be the coil.

3 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

GB: I think F350Platinum was being sarcastic/silly.

I was serious when I wrote that, sorta. 😀I'm a bit frustrated that I haven't found a single silver coin in a place I've found 69 coins (as of today 76), that has wheats and old memorials. The IHP was kinda a fluke.

3 hours ago, kac said:

That pic just many my arms and back hurt. Consider a PI?

Love that IH, has a really nice patina.

Haha, my left hand was cramping big time. Headed straight for the ibuprofen jar.

PI detectors have been on my mind, but not my wallets' mind. 😀 There isn't a lot of mineralization here, digging is easy. Landscaping isn't a thing either, even when a house is replaced they just push it into the woods and throw a new one up in it's place, so super deep might not even exist.

I'm getting better at cleaning coins using only André pencils. The newer stuff I just clean the date unless it's key.

• Like 2

Sounds like it was cherry picked. Pretty much any silver I find here is in the toughest spots to detect for coins at least. Areas that the older machines struggled with. Now even older coppers are hard to find so I been hunting more jewelry in the aluminum crap. Not sure what is worse, hunting in aluminum or iron. Have a lot of new places to hit later this season when undergrowth is down.

I considered a land pi a few times, even an ATX but know that other than punching through the ground for depth the trash levels are just too high. I do well with all metal hunting to sniff out targets of the right size and depth then will use discrimation mode if I need to. Having a good threshold you can hear a lot of stuff you normally may not hear with discrimination on all the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

All my mercs were ~26, so not far off from what Raphis wrote. Funny thing, most memorials and wheats in Park 1 are coming up ~25! Could be the coil.

What was the dTID on the Indian Head?  My 95% copper (small) USA cent finds go all the way from 19 to 26 (ML Eqx with 11" coil, mostly hunting in Park 1, RC = 4, F2 = 0).  I think corrosion from ground minerals is a key factor for copper alloys, but I still need to do some tests with the hundreds of Wheat cents I have (specifically those not found with a detector) to see if there are other hints/clues.

Since I dig every small sized target above the Equinox dTID of 21 (and many in the 19-21 range) that doesn't have strong ferrous dTID content, I don't go out of my way to nail the dTID before I recover.  It does seem that silver dimes center a bit above where 95% copper cents and clad dimes do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

What was the dTID on the Indian Head?  My 95% copper (small) USA cent finds go all the way from 19 to 26 (ML Eqx with 11" coil, mostly hunting in Park 1, RC = 4, F2 = 0).  I think corrosion from ground minerals is a key factor for copper alloys, but I still need to do some tests with the hundreds of Wheat cents I have (specifically those not found with a detector) to see if there are other hints/clues.

Since I dig every small sized target above the Equinox dTID of 21 (and many in the 19-21 range) that doesn't have strong ferrous dTID content, I don't go out of my way to nail the dTID before I recover.  It does seem that silver dimes center a bit above where 95% copper cents and clad dimes do.

The IHP was a 19/20. Solid 19 in an air test.

Here I've retrieved Zincolns that were 18-20, the wheats and pre-82 memorials are more 22-25. Dimes will throw 23-26, I dug 7 clad dimes. Unfortunately aluminum bottle caps are 20-23 so they sorta look like pennies, dug quite a few of them. 😵

I am guilty of "strip mining" this yard and then will use my 11". I should get a few more inches deep but I find many coins masked by junk. Got an interesting post forthcoming. Hopefully I'll find one silver, but it may have been cherry picked. I just can't believe that the "picker" also didn't get some of the coins I did! Literally one every 5 minutes or so.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Unfortunately aluminum bottle caps are 20-23 so they sorta look like pennies, dug quite a few of them.

I dig about half dozen of those in a 3-4 hour session.  Shallow ones are loud (but so are shallow pennies...) and I get a surprising number of deep aluminum screw caps.  I chalk those up to my nemesis -- landscaping backfill.  But a couple Al screwcaps per hour really isn't much of an annoyance, for me anyway.  Zincolns on the other hand....  :biggrin:

• Haha 1