If I lived close to a beach, it would change how I detected as well. I would be more inclined to scout out a section longer instead of just wandering, knowing I could go back tomorrow. Driving 2 hours puts some pressure (self inflicted 😄) on me to find an area that produces or go home empty handed. The long ride back is much more palatable if there is at least some silver kicking around my finds pouch. Last year Joe, I had the same situation when a patch for silver opened up. Lucky for me it was in an area that did not get covered up fast. I enjoyed it for many return visits, but each visit was a week apart. If I lived close, I would have hit it every day for a couple of hours and really cleaned up.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Weather was perfect, light breeze, cloudy, and warm – the perfect detecting weather!!!

Well, for most of us.  But I thought you preferred those windy, sub-freezing winter days....  :biggrin:  Bet you won't have any competition when those show up.

From the looks of the front edge of that shovel's blade, it's seen considerable use.  Do they make this style with a fiberglass handle?

Too bad at least one of those rings wasn't gold.  But I'm sure you're just getting started so the goodies are just around the corner.

Addendum:  looks like I was responding to a week-old post.  Has the weather turned into the schoolofhardNox variety, yet?

• Haha 1

Stainless steel shovel, fiberglass or carbon fiber reinforced shaft, and aluminum "D" handle! Never replace again!😁👍👍

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Well, for most of us.  But I thought you preferred those windy, sub-freezing winter days....  :biggrin:  Bet you won't have any competition when those show up.

From the looks of the front edge of that shovel's blade, it's seen considerable use.  Do they make this style with a fiberglass handle?

Too bad at least one of those rings wasn't gold.  But I'm sure you're just getting started so the goodies are just around the corner.

Addendum:  looks like I was responding to a week-old post.  Has the weather turned into the schoolofhardNox variety, yet?

I love any weather that keeps the public off my beach😄 They probably make a fiberglass one, but I usually wait until it's too late, so I buy what I can get.🙄 Each shovel lasts about one season, so it's not so bad. I use it as a pry bar for some deep rocks too. The weather is starting to get to the 60's, so not beach clearing weather by any means.

6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Stainless steel shovel, fiberglass or carbon fiber reinforced shaft, and aluminum "D" handle! Never replace again!😁👍👍

Hey, remember what I'm swinging already 😄 That GPX with a 12.5" DD coil fully extended has got to weigh about 6 lbs. Although a 5 lb shovel on the other shoulder may just about balance me out 🤔 I tried a heavy duty shovel and it's just like having my Xtreme scoop - way too heavy for this light weight. 🧍‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beach hunt # 4 this past Thursday, and finally some more time with the GPX 6000.  The difference between low tide and high tide was minimal, so it was a great time to do some tests with the GPX on a very high EMI beach. I started off right away with the 14”DD coil and ran the EMI option. It ran rather well even when the train approached. It did get chattery when the train was passing by, but it seemed to quiet down faster after the train passed. The 5000 would take a long time after the train passed to do the same. So that was nice to see. I spent a total of 6 hours with the 6000 almost exclusively with the 14” coil. I tried the 11” mono for about 15 minutes, but the train induced EMI made that futile. This is one of those times I would have like to have an old-style DD coil and a cancel mode option. The 14” DD did hit on some old style pull tabs at 12 -13” and gave a rather decent signal, even close to the train tracks. That was also nice to see. I also did notice that Steve Herschbach’s findings using the toggle between normal and difficult worked on the 14” DD coil as it did for his mono coils. I could (if I wanted) choose to not dig little bits of aluminum and other small targets by disregarding the high-high signal. I did not for most of the hunt just to see what comes up. I did after a while dig only high – low and low – high signals in an attempt to dig nickel type targets (nickels, pull tabs, gold rings) and also dig higher conductive targets (cents, quarters, big iron). One thing I can say that I noticed is the sluggish signal the DD coil gives as opposed to the mono coil’s sharp response. This is also true for the quality of the signal in the headphones, as I find the DD coil gives a muffled tone, whereas the mono coil gives a nice sharp, and quick loud tone. Let me know if anyone else has this happen. I don’t think under these conditions the 6000 will replace my 5000 anytime soon for beach hunting, but it still will have a place in certain conditions on the beach, mainly when some 6-12” of sand gets removed. With heavy EMI and some sand gone, the 14DD may go a bit deeper than the 5000 running in cancel mode. And finally, for the last 2 hours I ran the GPX 5000 in cancel mode and ended the day that way. I was not expecting much, and even the two other detectorists quit after about an hour. My one distraction was the 2 bus loads of either junior high or high school age kids that invaded the beach and surrounding areas. 😵 Honest to God, they never stopped scream talking the whole 2 hours they were there. Finally, they moved on to other areas, and continued their chants. A great day to be alive and hunting a beach.

PA020222.JPG

PA020224.JPG

PA020227.JPG

PA020228.JPG

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 1

I am more than impressed with your finds in photo N°1 and N°3 what a haul. I guess when the GPX 6500 comes out with discrimination that rivals a good VLF detector, coins and jewellery will have no chance at all of hiding. More than well done and thanks for your report.

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm always amazed on how much junk is on our beaches. Cleaning up some spots on my regular beaches doesn't do me much good when they are sanded in, but later in the season I may be able to hit some deep silver with the surface junk gone.

• Like 2

I'm always impressed by your discipline and fortitude. The trash to keepers ratio stands out, but what keepers! Great stuff.

12 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm always impressed by your discipline and fortitude. The trash to keepers ratio stands out, but what keepers! Great stuff.

Thanks. I guess I just don't know when to quit 😄.  I just love detecting and they will probably find me leaned over my machine when it's my time to go 🏳️ Trying to get out this Thursday to do it all over again 🙂

• Like 1

If people only knew what hides in the sand, they would never go barefoot!!😬👍👍

• Like 3